Re: [thewire] oh, Canada

  • Steve Bates
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
      well, it's my hometown so i'll throw out some names/events etc happening
      around here...actually just working on a "Global Ear: Winnipeg" that may
      see the light of day soon...

      - ken gregory (aka: cheap meat dreams and acorns). very active audio
      artist just returned from solar circuit in tazmania.
      (http://www.gatewest.net/~kgregory/news.html)

      - Venetian Snares. aaron's been busy tearing up the euro circuit lately
      with a whack of releases and tours.

      - DUUL_DRV. arden recently appeared on 12k's between two points comp.

      - send + receive: a festival of sound. annual media arts fest i'm the
      artistic director for. coming into our fifth year (www.sendandreceive.org)

      - two campus radio stations: CKUW (www.ckuw.org) and UMFM (www.cjum.com)

      - recent audio art compilation released by Video Pool, a local artist run
      audio & video production & distribution centre, called "In Between: The
      SOund of Music". (www.videopool.org)

      - Fanny. Local electronic producer, ex-Exploited bass player!

      - Weakerthans/Propagandhi for all of your contemporary punk needs.
      (www.g7welcomingcommittee.com) (www.weakerthans.com)

      - Clive Holden. poet/film maker and his latest multimedia project "Trains
      of Winnipeg" consisting of a cd, website, films, performances
      etc. (www.trainsofwinnipeg.com)

      - numerous locals producing sounds: vitaminsforyou, 3x3is9, the dim coast,
      blunderspublik, not 1/2, ...

      - last monday of every month will feature an evening of electronic music,
      film etc. tentaively called the ping pong club...

      - stylus magazine. local mag quite supportive of wire-ish material.

      that's what i can think of now. there seems to be a fair amount of
      activity currently. if you're looking for anything more specific let me
      know. planning any trips here, let me know.

      best,
      steve

      steve bates
      [www.dimcoast.org]

      send + receive: a festival of sound
      [www.sendandreceive.org]

      ckuw 95.9 fm [www.ckuw.org]
      dim coast radio on ckuw:
      www.ckuw.org/listen.html
      fridays: 12:00 - 14:00 cst ::: 18:00 - 20:00 utc]