Re: [thewire] oh, Canada

  • i am e-mail
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3 12:12 PM
      this does not have much to do with your discussion, but since there are a few people from Montreal on here I thought I'd mention that in late April/early may. I'm going to be starting wavelength Montreal, after the Toronto weekly series (you can go to www.wavelengthtoronto.com if you want to learn about it). Montreal needs something like this to bring the independent music community together to show that there is much more to this city other then constellation records and alien8 (not that there is anything wrong with those labels. I love every release, but there is so much more here that no one ever finds out about). if anyone from Montreal is interested in helping out, you can reach me by email at carlo_de@...

      for a lovely Montreal band, I think they might be my favourite bands in this city. lovely group of people. check out arcade fire. i think you can download some songs from mp3.com

      also, check out montrealshows.com. there is a collective of folk who post of the message boards. sometimes interesting things come up.

      carlo.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3 3:15 PM
        trommer wrote:

        > winnipeg weirdness...all unique. check out algorhythm's mix cd as well as

        First real mention I've seen of something brewing in Winnipeg ... got any names?
        (incl. online sources, if possible?)

        Jim Flannery newgrange@...
      • Steve Bates
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3 10:20 PM
          well, it's my hometown so i'll throw out some names/events etc happening
          around here...actually just working on a "Global Ear: Winnipeg" that may
          see the light of day soon...

          - ken gregory (aka: cheap meat dreams and acorns). very active audio
          artist just returned from solar circuit in tazmania.
          (http://www.gatewest.net/~kgregory/news.html)

          - Venetian Snares. aaron's been busy tearing up the euro circuit lately
          with a whack of releases and tours.

          - DUUL_DRV. arden recently appeared on 12k's between two points comp.

          - send + receive: a festival of sound. annual media arts fest i'm the
          artistic director for. coming into our fifth year (www.sendandreceive.org)

          - two campus radio stations: CKUW (www.ckuw.org) and UMFM (www.cjum.com)

          - recent audio art compilation released by Video Pool, a local artist run
          audio & video production & distribution centre, called "In Between: The
          SOund of Music". (www.videopool.org)

          - Fanny. Local electronic producer, ex-Exploited bass player!

          - Weakerthans/Propagandhi for all of your contemporary punk needs.
          (www.g7welcomingcommittee.com) (www.weakerthans.com)

          - Clive Holden. poet/film maker and his latest multimedia project "Trains
          of Winnipeg" consisting of a cd, website, films, performances
          etc. (www.trainsofwinnipeg.com)

          - numerous locals producing sounds: vitaminsforyou, 3x3is9, the dim coast,
          blunderspublik, not 1/2, ...

          - last monday of every month will feature an evening of electronic music,
          film etc. tentaively called the ping pong club...

          - stylus magazine. local mag quite supportive of wire-ish material.

          that's what i can think of now. there seems to be a fair amount of
          activity currently. if you're looking for anything more specific let me
          know. planning any trips here, let me know.

          best,
          steve

          steve bates
          [www.dimcoast.org]

          send + receive: a festival of sound
          [www.sendandreceive.org]

          ckuw 95.9 fm [www.ckuw.org]
          dim coast radio on ckuw:
          www.ckuw.org/listen.html
          fridays: 12:00 - 14:00 cst ::: 18:00 - 20:00 utc]