Re: [thewire] oh, Canada
- this does not have much to do with your discussion, but since there are a few people from Montreal on here I thought I'd mention that in late April/early may. I'm going to be starting wavelength Montreal, after the Toronto weekly series (you can go to www.wavelengthtoronto.com if you want to learn about it). Montreal needs something like this to bring the independent music community together to show that there is much more to this city other then constellation records and alien8 (not that there is anything wrong with those labels. I love every release, but there is so much more here that no one ever finds out about). if anyone from Montreal is interested in helping out, you can reach me by email at carlo_de@...
for a lovely Montreal band, I think they might be my favourite bands in this city. lovely group of people. check out arcade fire. i think you can download some songs from mp3.com
also, check out montrealshows.com. there is a collective of folk who post of the message boards. sometimes interesting things come up.
----- Original Message -----
From: M. Pathos
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2002 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: [thewire] oh, Canada
How can you say Montreal isn't covered? The only Canadian bands "Wire" ever
even namechecks are connected to the insular clique surrounding
Montreal-based Godspeed and Saint-Onge. There's lots of stuff happening in
Canada at least as interesting as the majority of the tedious poseurs the
journal's seen fit to feature recently; unfortunately, geography and
cultural apathy tend to make the nation's avant community invisible and/or
impenetrable to all but a few.
(from Montreal, which doesn't get covered at all...)
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
UNSUBSCRIBE = mailto:email@example.com
TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
- trommer wrote:
>First real mention I've seen of something brewing in Winnipeg ... got any names?
> winnipeg weirdness...all unique. check out algorhythm's mix cd as well as
(incl. online sources, if possible?)
Jim Flannery newgrange@...
- well, it's my hometown so i'll throw out some names/events etc happening
around here...actually just working on a "Global Ear: Winnipeg" that may
see the light of day soon...
- ken gregory (aka: cheap meat dreams and acorns). very active audio
artist just returned from solar circuit in tazmania.
- Venetian Snares. aaron's been busy tearing up the euro circuit lately
with a whack of releases and tours.
- DUUL_DRV. arden recently appeared on 12k's between two points comp.
- send + receive: a festival of sound. annual media arts fest i'm the
artistic director for. coming into our fifth year (www.sendandreceive.org)
- two campus radio stations: CKUW (www.ckuw.org) and UMFM (www.cjum.com)
- recent audio art compilation released by Video Pool, a local artist run
audio & video production & distribution centre, called "In Between: The
SOund of Music". (www.videopool.org)
- Fanny. Local electronic producer, ex-Exploited bass player!
- Weakerthans/Propagandhi for all of your contemporary punk needs.
- Clive Holden. poet/film maker and his latest multimedia project "Trains
of Winnipeg" consisting of a cd, website, films, performances
- numerous locals producing sounds: vitaminsforyou, 3x3is9, the dim coast,
blunderspublik, not 1/2, ...
- last monday of every month will feature an evening of electronic music,
film etc. tentaively called the ping pong club...
- stylus magazine. local mag quite supportive of wire-ish material.
that's what i can think of now. there seems to be a fair amount of
activity currently. if you're looking for anything more specific let me
know. planning any trips here, let me know.
send + receive: a festival of sound
ckuw 95.9 fm [www.ckuw.org]
dim coast radio on ckuw:
fridays: 12:00 - 14:00 cst ::: 18:00 - 20:00 utc]
On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Jim Flannery wrote:
> trommer wrote:
> > winnipeg weirdness...all unique. check out algorhythm's mix cd as well as
> First real mention I've seen of something brewing in Winnipeg ... got any names?
> (incl. online sources, if possible?)
> Jim Flannery newgrange@...
> UNSUBSCRIBE = mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
> TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/