Re: [thewire] oh, Canada

  • trommer
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
      canada has an amazingly diverse and relatively accessible music
      scene...for example: i live in downtown toronto; yesterday i walked to
      kensington market to go grocery shopping and i heard everything from
      banghra to deep house to jazz to chinese opera to dub to drum and bass
      within two blocks...this sort of thing seeps into your consciousness and
      i think is reflected in the type of music that is produced here.

      halifax hip-hop, montreal glitch, toronto house/techno/experimental,
      winnipeg weirdness...all unique. check out algorhythm's mix cd as well as
      the 'montreal smoked meat' comp, both on force inc....the community here
      seems to be quite tight, despite the country's size, with a healthy
      cross-fertilization and many collaborative projects between artists,
      which is always healthy. it's still possible to walk down the street on a
      saturday here in toronto and run into half the city's music
      community...big city, but not TOO big...tight.

      i also think that programming legislation regarding canadian content,
      though sometimes controversial, has really helped nurture a very vibrant
      music community

      some more toronto names (i produce electronic music, so there's a
      bias)...tomas jirku, the 'movement' collective, algorhythm, polmo polpo,
      the ' wabi' crew, clonk, the music gallery, do make say think, myself
      ('sans soleil'...shameless self-promotion, sorry)...it goes on.

      oh, and then there's the 'hockey night in canada' theme, which should be
      the national anthem...
    • i am e-mail
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
        this does not have much to do with your discussion, but since there are a few people from Montreal on here I thought I'd mention that in late April/early may. I'm going to be starting wavelength Montreal, after the Toronto weekly series (you can go to www.wavelengthtoronto.com if you want to learn about it). Montreal needs something like this to bring the independent music community together to show that there is much more to this city other then constellation records and alien8 (not that there is anything wrong with those labels. I love every release, but there is so much more here that no one ever finds out about). if anyone from Montreal is interested in helping out, you can reach me by email at carlo_de@...

        for a lovely Montreal band, I think they might be my favourite bands in this city. lovely group of people. check out arcade fire. i think you can download some songs from mp3.com

        also, check out montrealshows.com. there is a collective of folk who post of the message boards. sometimes interesting things come up.

        carlo.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
          trommer wrote:

          > winnipeg weirdness...all unique. check out algorhythm's mix cd as well as

          First real mention I've seen of something brewing in Winnipeg ... got any names?
          (incl. online sources, if possible?)

          Jim Flannery newgrange@...
        • Steve Bates
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
            well, it's my hometown so i'll throw out some names/events etc happening
            around here...actually just working on a "Global Ear: Winnipeg" that may
            see the light of day soon...

            - ken gregory (aka: cheap meat dreams and acorns). very active audio
            artist just returned from solar circuit in tazmania.
            (http://www.gatewest.net/~kgregory/news.html)

            - Venetian Snares. aaron's been busy tearing up the euro circuit lately
            with a whack of releases and tours.

            - DUUL_DRV. arden recently appeared on 12k's between two points comp.

            - send + receive: a festival of sound. annual media arts fest i'm the
            artistic director for. coming into our fifth year (www.sendandreceive.org)

            - two campus radio stations: CKUW (www.ckuw.org) and UMFM (www.cjum.com)

            - recent audio art compilation released by Video Pool, a local artist run
            audio & video production & distribution centre, called "In Between: The
            SOund of Music". (www.videopool.org)

            - Fanny. Local electronic producer, ex-Exploited bass player!

            - Weakerthans/Propagandhi for all of your contemporary punk needs.
            (www.g7welcomingcommittee.com) (www.weakerthans.com)

            - Clive Holden. poet/film maker and his latest multimedia project "Trains
            of Winnipeg" consisting of a cd, website, films, performances
            etc. (www.trainsofwinnipeg.com)

            - numerous locals producing sounds: vitaminsforyou, 3x3is9, the dim coast,
            blunderspublik, not 1/2, ...

            - last monday of every month will feature an evening of electronic music,
            film etc. tentaively called the ping pong club...

            - stylus magazine. local mag quite supportive of wire-ish material.

            that's what i can think of now. there seems to be a fair amount of
            activity currently. if you're looking for anything more specific let me
            know. planning any trips here, let me know.

            best,
            steve

            steve bates
            [www.dimcoast.org]

            send + receive: a festival of sound
            [www.sendandreceive.org]

            ckuw 95.9 fm [www.ckuw.org]
            dim coast radio on ckuw:
            www.ckuw.org/listen.html
            fridays: 12:00 - 14:00 cst ::: 18:00 - 20:00 utc]