Re: [thewire] Re: Michael Gira

  • Olivier Borzeix
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 3, 2002

      > Isn't Gira now a New Orleans resident?

      well... not to my knowledge at least...

      Olivier

    • stevolende
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 5, 2002
        --- In thewire@y..., Olivier Borzeix <oborzeix@s...> wrote:
        > > Isn't Gira now a New Orleans resident?
        >
        > well... not to my knowledge at least...
        >
        > Olivier

        I thought he'd moved down there just before his Wire cover feature or
        something
        lydia Lunch is down there too from what i recall
        Stevo
        Np Toots and the maytals 54-46was my number disc1
        love this compi -been playing it muchly muchly
        wonder what the other recent Trojan 2cds are like?
      • R. Lim
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 18, 2002
          On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, nrpo_campbell wrote:

          > Cash is a joker too - i mean, he'll ride any bandwagon going - you
          > guys might think he's cool for all that MTV unplugged crap, but

          Yeah, but at least he's been doing it since you were in your nappies. I
          mean, Dylan's electric debut at Newport '64 led to one of Cash's more
          fertile periods (he was riding shotgun on that bandwagon).

          > Nah, only JC worth digging out is those early sun rockabilly
          > recordings - his band has a great stripped-down reverbed-out sound on
          > there. Great stuff.

          Agreed that this stuff is crucial- you won't find anything more taut and
          minimal these days that isn't produced in Berlin. I'm not really sure why
          one couldn't just slap the Sun "I Walk the Line" into a Wire-centric radio
          show without putting in the requisite distancing factor of "influence."
          Would you do the same with a John Fahey tribute?

          -rob
        • R. Lim
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 18, 2002
            On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, stevolende wrote:

            > funny that considering that Sonic Youth are the current cover stars
            > although i don't think there are any NYC natives in the band

            According to the Terrastock 5 roster, Sonic Youth are from
            Massachusetts/New York. Meaning that the obligatory Thurston sit in with
            the Supreme Dicks at MASS MOCA can't be far off. Take pride in Western
            Mass!

            BTW, New York is a state of mind, as can be inferred from the great
            gnostic of the five boroughs, Billy Joel.

            -rob
          • stevolende
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 18, 2002
              --- In thewire@y..., "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@a...> wrote:
              been thinking about that prince of power connotation for years
              gi-ra prince of power

              or by the power of -FAILURE
              or sump'n
              stevo