Re: [thewire] oh, Canada

  • M. Pathos
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2002
      How can you say Montreal isn't covered? The only Canadian bands "Wire" ever
      even namechecks are connected to the insular clique surrounding
      Montreal-based Godspeed and Saint-Onge. There's lots of stuff happening in
      Canada at least as interesting as the majority of the tedious poseurs the
      journal's seen fit to feature recently; unfortunately, geography and
      cultural apathy tend to make the nation's avant community invisible and/or
      impenetrable to all but a few.

      Olivier
      (from Montreal, which doesn't get covered at all...)

    • Kraig Grady
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2002
        Hello Olivier!
        It's called Regionieres Disease

        "M. Pathos" wrote:

        > How can you say Montreal isn't covered? The only Canadian bands "Wire" ever
        > even namechecks are connected to the insular clique surrounding
        > Montreal-based Godspeed and Saint-Onge. There's lots of stuff happening in
        > Canada at least as interesting as the majority of the tedious poseurs the
        > journal's seen fit to feature recently; unfortunately, geography and
        > cultural apathy tend to make the nation's avant community invisible and/or
        > impenetrable to all but a few.

        -- Kraig Grady
        North American Embassy of Anaphoria island
        http://www.anaphoria.com

        The Wandering Medicine Show
        Wed. 8-9 KXLU 88.9 fm
      • Olivier Borzeix
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
          "M. Pathos" a écrit :

          > How can you say Montreal isn't covered? The only Canadian bands
          > "Wire" ever
          > even namechecks are connected to the insular clique surrounding
          > Montreal-based Godspeed and Saint-Onge.

          Yep but there's a whole more to life and montreal than those
          (astonishingly talented no problem about that) people...

          > There's lots of stuff happening in
          > Canada at least as interesting as the majority of the tedious poseurs
          > the
          > journal's seen fit to feature recently; unfortunately, geography and
          > cultural apathy tend to make the nation's avant community invisible
          > and/or
          > impenetrable to all but a few.

          Well it didn't took me so much eventhough I'm a newly arried immigrant!

          anyway...

          Olivier

        • trommer
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
            canada has an amazingly diverse and relatively accessible music
            scene...for example: i live in downtown toronto; yesterday i walked to
            kensington market to go grocery shopping and i heard everything from
            banghra to deep house to jazz to chinese opera to dub to drum and bass
            within two blocks...this sort of thing seeps into your consciousness and
            i think is reflected in the type of music that is produced here.

            halifax hip-hop, montreal glitch, toronto house/techno/experimental,
            winnipeg weirdness...all unique. check out algorhythm's mix cd as well as
            the 'montreal smoked meat' comp, both on force inc....the community here
            seems to be quite tight, despite the country's size, with a healthy
            cross-fertilization and many collaborative projects between artists,
            which is always healthy. it's still possible to walk down the street on a
            saturday here in toronto and run into half the city's music
            community...big city, but not TOO big...tight.

            i also think that programming legislation regarding canadian content,
            though sometimes controversial, has really helped nurture a very vibrant
            music community

            some more toronto names (i produce electronic music, so there's a
            bias)...tomas jirku, the 'movement' collective, algorhythm, polmo polpo,
            the ' wabi' crew, clonk, the music gallery, do make say think, myself
            ('sans soleil'...shameless self-promotion, sorry)...it goes on.

            oh, and then there's the 'hockey night in canada' theme, which should be
            the national anthem...
          • i am e-mail
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
              this does not have much to do with your discussion, but since there are a few people from Montreal on here I thought I'd mention that in late April/early may. I'm going to be starting wavelength Montreal, after the Toronto weekly series (you can go to www.wavelengthtoronto.com if you want to learn about it). Montreal needs something like this to bring the independent music community together to show that there is much more to this city other then constellation records and alien8 (not that there is anything wrong with those labels. I love every release, but there is so much more here that no one ever finds out about). if anyone from Montreal is interested in helping out, you can reach me by email at carlo_de@...

              for a lovely Montreal band, I think they might be my favourite bands in this city. lovely group of people. check out arcade fire. i think you can download some songs from mp3.com

              also, check out montrealshows.com. there is a collective of folk who post of the message boards. sometimes interesting things come up.

              carlo.

              How can you say Montreal isn't covered? The only Canadian bands "Wire" ever
              even namechecks are connected to the insular clique surrounding
              Montreal-based Godspeed and Saint-Onge. There's lots of stuff happening in
              Canada at least as interesting as the majority of the tedious poseurs the
              journal's seen fit to feature recently; unfortunately, geography and
              cultural apathy tend to make the nation's avant community invisible and/or
              impenetrable to all but a few.

              Olivier
              (from Montreal, which doesn't get covered at all...)

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

            • Jim Flannery
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
                trommer wrote:

                > winnipeg weirdness...all unique. check out algorhythm's mix cd as well as

                First real mention I've seen of something brewing in Winnipeg ... got any names?
                (incl. online sources, if possible?)

                Jim Flannery newgrange@...
              • Steve Bates
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
                  well, it's my hometown so i'll throw out some names/events etc happening
                  around here...actually just working on a "Global Ear: Winnipeg" that may
                  see the light of day soon...

                  - ken gregory (aka: cheap meat dreams and acorns). very active audio
                  artist just returned from solar circuit in tazmania.
                  (http://www.gatewest.net/~kgregory/news.html)

                  - Venetian Snares. aaron's been busy tearing up the euro circuit lately
                  with a whack of releases and tours.

                  - DUUL_DRV. arden recently appeared on 12k's between two points comp.

                  - send + receive: a festival of sound. annual media arts fest i'm the
                  artistic director for. coming into our fifth year (www.sendandreceive.org)

                  - two campus radio stations: CKUW (www.ckuw.org) and UMFM (www.cjum.com)

                  - recent audio art compilation released by Video Pool, a local artist run
                  audio & video production & distribution centre, called "In Between: The
                  SOund of Music". (www.videopool.org)

                  - Fanny. Local electronic producer, ex-Exploited bass player!

                  - Weakerthans/Propagandhi for all of your contemporary punk needs.
                  (www.g7welcomingcommittee.com) (www.weakerthans.com)

                  - Clive Holden. poet/film maker and his latest multimedia project "Trains
                  of Winnipeg" consisting of a cd, website, films, performances
                  etc. (www.trainsofwinnipeg.com)

                  - numerous locals producing sounds: vitaminsforyou, 3x3is9, the dim coast,
                  blunderspublik, not 1/2, ...

                  - last monday of every month will feature an evening of electronic music,
                  film etc. tentaively called the ping pong club...

                  - stylus magazine. local mag quite supportive of wire-ish material.

                  that's what i can think of now. there seems to be a fair amount of
                  activity currently. if you're looking for anything more specific let me
                  know. planning any trips here, let me know.

                  best,
                  steve

                  steve bates
                  [www.dimcoast.org]

                  send + receive: a festival of sound
                  [www.sendandreceive.org]

                  ckuw 95.9 fm [www.ckuw.org]
                  dim coast radio on ckuw:
                  www.ckuw.org/listen.html
                  fridays: 12:00 - 14:00 cst ::: 18:00 - 20:00 utc]