Re: [thewire] maurizio bianchi

  • Michael Gillham
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 28, 2002
      I'm no MB expert, but from the 6 CD's and tape I have,
      I'd probably recommend "Neuro Habitat" the most.

      Yes, "Carcinosi" and "Endometrio" are also great.
      There're more 'industrial drone', which is no bad
      thing, of course.

      From what I have/have heard, I haven't got a bad thing
      to say about MB.

      All 10 Archeo MB CD's are currently available from
      These for £10 plus postage each.
      http://www.theserecords.com/

      They seem to be quite scarce, so don't delay, buy
      today, etc.

      The official(?) MB discography, etc website is at
      http://www.wwa.com/~sdm/mbweb/ but it needs to be
      updated and sometimes you can't even get onto it.

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • greg curtis
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 2, 2002
        think he co-produced calla's last record on young god,
        has a very nice gritty quality to it. one of the best
        (and most overlooked) records of last year imo. in
        other gira news, check out his new collob w/ dan matz
        from windsor for the derby/birdwatcher. anyone else
        ever notice how the wire doesnt cover nyc that much?
        the usa does not just include chicago and san fran (no
        offense to those cities!!)

        greg

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 2, 2002
          > anyone else
          > ever notice how the wire doesnt cover nyc that much?
          > the usa does not just include chicago and san fran (no
          > offense to those cities!!)

          Well, I guess it depends on where they're contributors are...

          Olivier
          (from Montreal, which doesn't get covered at all...)

        • stevolende
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 3, 2002
            --- In thewire@y..., greg curtis <gregcurtis2001@y...> wrote:
            anyone else
            > ever notice how the wire doesnt cover nyc that much?
            > the usa does not just include chicago and san fran (no
            > offense to those cities!!)
            >
            > greg

            funny that considering that Sonic Youth are the current cover stars
            although i don't think there are any NYC natives in the band

            Isn't Gira now a New Orleans resident?
            is that true about Gira/Gordon being at art school together in LA?

            maybe the lack of new york focus was a conscious swing - i think they
            used to spend a lot of coverage there
            possibly it's a decision to cover elsewhere that went too far -though
            i hadn't noticed it myself.

            Stevo
            Np Toots and the Maytals 54-46 Was My number disc1
          • Olivier Borzeix
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 3, 2002

              > Isn't Gira now a New Orleans resident?

              well... not to my knowledge at least...

              Olivier

            • stevolende
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 5, 2002
                --- In thewire@y..., Olivier Borzeix <oborzeix@s...> wrote:
                > > Isn't Gira now a New Orleans resident?
                >
                > well... not to my knowledge at least...
                >
                > Olivier

                I thought he'd moved down there just before his Wire cover feature or
                something
                lydia Lunch is down there too from what i recall
                Stevo
                Np Toots and the maytals 54-46was my number disc1
                love this compi -been playing it muchly muchly
                wonder what the other recent Trojan 2cds are like?
              • R. Lim
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 18, 2002
                  On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, nrpo_campbell wrote:

                  > Cash is a joker too - i mean, he'll ride any bandwagon going - you
                  > guys might think he's cool for all that MTV unplugged crap, but

                  Yeah, but at least he's been doing it since you were in your nappies. I
                  mean, Dylan's electric debut at Newport '64 led to one of Cash's more
                  fertile periods (he was riding shotgun on that bandwagon).

                  > Nah, only JC worth digging out is those early sun rockabilly
                  > recordings - his band has a great stripped-down reverbed-out sound on
                  > there. Great stuff.

                  Agreed that this stuff is crucial- you won't find anything more taut and
                  minimal these days that isn't produced in Berlin. I'm not really sure why
                  one couldn't just slap the Sun "I Walk the Line" into a Wire-centric radio
                  show without putting in the requisite distancing factor of "influence."
                  Would you do the same with a John Fahey tribute?

                  -rob
                • R. Lim
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 18, 2002
                    On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, stevolende wrote:

                    > funny that considering that Sonic Youth are the current cover stars
                    > although i don't think there are any NYC natives in the band

                    According to the Terrastock 5 roster, Sonic Youth are from
                    Massachusetts/New York. Meaning that the obligatory Thurston sit in with
                    the Supreme Dicks at MASS MOCA can't be far off. Take pride in Western
                    Mass!

                    BTW, New York is a state of mind, as can be inferred from the great
                    gnostic of the five boroughs, Billy Joel.

                    -rob
                  • stevolende
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 18, 2002
                      --- In thewire@y..., "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@a...> wrote:
                      been thinking about that prince of power connotation for years
                      gi-ra prince of power

                      or by the power of -FAILURE
                      or sump'n
                      stevo