Paul Dunmall Octet

  • dinyar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2002
      On the offchance I picked up Paul Dunmall Octet's Great Divide (Cuneiform)
      and was pleasantly surprised - the most sonorous jazz veering on
      contemporary composition I'd heard in a long time. Just one of those albums
      that isn't afraid of melody and sheer sensuousness. Lots of quiet bits and
      the busier sections aren't messy, but have an inevitability, a just
      rightness, that's quite rare. I was a little disappointed that it hadn't
      made the Wire's end-of-year lists but not entirely surprised - probably not
      rad enough for them (but then again that anodyne Angels of the Universe
      album made it into the pantheon of the greats; there's really no accounting
      for taste - and fashion - , I guess).

      Anyway, can anyone recommend more jazz in the same sort of vein?

      Dinyar

      np - Volapuk - Polyglot