thelonius monk

  • Manuel Cabrera
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2002
      I caught a Thelonius Monk tribute show in Highland Park (in L.A.) last
      night, and, having no knowledge of Monk, would like to know what would be a
      good place to start. What are the essential Monk albums?
      By the way, the Nels Cline Singers played one of the sets last night, and
      I was blown away by the whole band. Before this, I'd only known Nels Cline
      from seeing him with the Geraldine Fibbers and Scarnella. The man is GOOD,
      though I don't know what Monk fans would have to say about their
      interpretations of his the man's work. I also didn't know there were good
      jazz shows in L.A. (I am a novice to jazz for the most part)--anyone know if
      Mr. T's (where last night's show was) is a place where there are jazz shows
      often? Any other good venues to check out in L.A. or thereabouts?
      Thanks,

      mandel cabrera