Wreck: Randomization & Miniaturization [playlist]

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2002
      wReck thiS meSS ‰ Radio Patapoe 97.2 ‰ Amsterdam

      Adventures in UNsound: no. 164 > Randomization & Miniaturization

      Maandag, 31 December 2001 (17:20 to 19:01)

      "Irresistible urges pulsate through the vacuum. Dreams of compulsion
      fill the stocking. On the wall, above the fireplaces, dead words are
      mounted in lieu of action. We are all waiting for something better to
      come along."
      * Mike Golden, " Sex, Death & Other People's Money"

      Millennium Vuurwerk 31.12.99 > b/art [1]
      Ringtones [throughout] > 90± Various Artists [2]
      Miniatures [throughout] > 60± Various Artists [3]
      State of the Union 200.1 [throughout] > 170+ Various Artists [4]
      Long Sequence from 39 Characters > Michael Pepe

      ؉؉ ؉؉ ؉؉ ؉؉ ؉؉ ؉؉

      [1] Fireworks recorded by me on New Year's Millennium's Eve when Nina
      was some 7 months pregnant and we prefer to be somewhere safe and
      sound, out of the line of fire of the fireworks, having both of us
      been traumatized by fireworks in the past. Nina had a firecracker
      thrown at her in a stairwell in a punk club in Prague in 1994 and I
      got hit in the third eye by a fire cracker tossed from a grandstand
      in Central Park during an open air concert of Sun Ra and Sonic Youth
      in 1995. After being hit I looked like a drugged and bewildered Hindu
      or Ash Wednesday CatholicŠ

      [2] "Touch / Ringtones" on Touch <www.touch.demon.co.uk> is another
      great strategic disc from the label that invented intrepid sound
      strategies. This one is basically a sampler of various creative tones
      you could plug into your mobile / cell phone. Or it could encourage
      you to record or sample your own personal sound for the next
      generation of mobile phones that will have this option. This disc
      includes an incredible scan of possible sounds you could download to
      greet you instead of one of those annoying and cliched rings. Is it
      an audio version of a personalized licenseplate. I think it might be
      more. Inc: John Hudak, Chris Watson, brandon Labelle, Ken Ikeda, The
      Japanese Imperial Army, Gen Ken, CM van Hausswolf, Fennesz, Ikue
      Mori, Gilbert & George, Ryoji Ikeda, Francisco Lopez, Radio
      Bulgaria, and manymany more.

      [3] "Miniatures" Various on Pipe Records, 1980. The liner notes
      detail the evolution of this motherlode disc, the best madcapped
      concept compilation of all time and perfect for reclining or receding
      attention spans: "In 1938 Duchamp designed an ingenious
      leather-covered box, a sort of personal museum for small-scale
      reproductions of 68 of his works. The box serves to make certain of
      the survival of his ideasŠIn 1955 rock and roll appeared, and Peter
      Seeger, the Š folk singer, recorded a 10 inch Š called "The
      Goofing-Off Suite", featuring his modest versions of classical pieces
      and pop songs. One track on the record was Beethoven's 9th Symphony,
      arranged for solo banjo - not much over a minute longŠ In 1979 Morgan
      Fisher heard this "Suite" and got an idea Š In 1980 invitations were
      sent out to creative artistes, asking them to contribute pieces of
      not more than one minute's duration Š only a handful of artists
      declined Š 50 brilliant cameos had been assembled Š the total number
      of permutations of 51 tracks is about
      21,589,852,741,195,014,40,465,236,770,352,552,425,892,708,274,432,000,
      000,000,000." Distel is an experienced miniaturist. He assembled a
      "Museum of Drawers" where 500 artists works were collected with each
      piece fitting in a tiny compartment of a cabinet. Imagine Wagner's
      16-hour Ring in a bite-size morsel. Miniaturizing, transistorizing,
      compacting, condensing, atomizing, distilling the essence of culture
      in one-minute capsules of scurrilous sonic extasy. Inc. great
      1-minute pieces by the Residents, Pete Seeger, Robert wyatt, Lol
      Coxhill, Andy Partridge, Ron Geesin, 1/2 Japanese, RD Lang, Etron
      Fou, David Cunningham, and the best cut by Quentin Crisp and
      mannymany more.

      [4] "State of the Union 2.001" on EMF (Electronic Music Foundation)
      <http://www.emf.org> <EMF@...> This is a 3-CD set of
      post-consumer sound and text-based electric and electronic music that
      threads an entire critique of our modern life through its laser
      entrails. All profits go to the National Coalition Against
      Censorship, which has a job the equivalent of the repairman fixing a
      slight leak in the hull of the Titanic. Americans have decided that
      the world is the enemy and have taken to building trade barriers [as
      they speak of trade agreements - code for exploitations - and
      tariffs, and barbed wire borders and this incredible post-SDI rocket
      shield which will protect Americans from "lunatic" Muslims but not
      from themselves. They have bought into the entire idea of a virtual
      Maginot Line and since they know almost nothing about anyone's
      history they don't know how history made the French Maginot Line
      ridiculous and pejorative. This awesome display of inclusion by
      composer/multi-instrument musician & polemicist, Elliott Sharp, has
      collected one-minute music and sound works by 171 international
      avant-garde, both famous & less so, presents a colorful palette of
      noise, sound, blips, attacks on post-post-modernism, robotic poems,
      synthetic gurgles, rants, odes, meditations, post-punk quickies from
      a vast array of strategies, spirits, aesthetics, clans, tribes, alien
      nations, musical [un]styles, and unnamed genders. He describes the
      collection as "concrete, abstract, enraged, objective, caustic,
      soulful, sardonic, provocative -- all unfiltered, all clear." Volume
      One came out on vinyl sometime in the early 80s and was rereleased on
      CD with additional trax I seem to remember in the early 1990s. The
      cuts come so fast and furious and are so varied that you are cast
      instantly into the middle of NY somehow. With the frenetic pace that
      intoxicates as it exhausts, stimulates as it batters away at your
      ability to absorb so many shifts in style... Inc.: Bob Holman, Carl
      Stone, Chop Shop, Dave Soldier, Eszter Balint, Fred Frith, Henry
      Kaiser, Gen Ken, Jon Rose, Judy Nylon, Lloop, Matt rogalsky, Merzbow,
      Mike Cooper, Zoot Horn Rollo and mannymany more. I picked this among
      my favorites of 2001 because of its sheer vexing breadth. And,
      arranged alphabetically by first name, the 3-CD set of 171 one-minute
      compositions begins to act precisely like a day in the streets of NY
      does -- an incredible inhalation of phenomena / circumstance /
      happenstance / tension / bemused instants / noise / clamor / meaning
      and purpose darting in and out of the corners of whatever perception
      you have left. Vexing, annoying, delightful, indulgent,
      self-indulgent, cliched, original, inspiring, all in waves, darts,
      heaves and unresolved denouements.

      [5] I don't know much about this. I have it on an old cassette of an
      old show by the Vanilla Bean. It seems Michael Pepe if memory is
      still sometimes called upon to perform up to some standard. A
      performance comedian who could slip miraculously from voice to voice,
      persona to persona in a feverishly madcapped wayŠ

      ؉؉ ؉؉ ؉؉ ؉؉ ؉؉

      THIS PLAYLIST GOES OUT TO OVER 1500 READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*

      * "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      <info@...>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      ؉؉ ؉؉ ؉؉ ؉؉ ؉؉ ؉؉

      I am proud to announce that my playlists have begun appearing
      regularly in 3am Magazine <http://www.3ammagazine.com> under the
      title "Radiophotogram: Visual Radio". Also look for my lengthy and
      depth-of-focus interview with Judy Nylon

      "For a more international, commercial feel, try 3am Magazine. . . .
      The cosmopolitan, rive gauche quality of the site is wonderfully
      obvious. From 'cutting edge short fiction' to political satire and
      music reviews, 3am is a dream publication for the young, literary and
      clued-up, and it counter-balances nicely the London/New York
      publishing behemoth." o Bill Broun, The Times (Monday April 30 2001).

      "Cool ezine 3am is worth taking a look at for a dip into the edgier
      waters of literature on the net." o Michelle Pauli, The Guardian
      (2001).

      SDI > SELF DESTRUCTION INSURED >
      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL