Miss E

  • chux
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2002
      > > How many of you are actually going to be listening to the Missy E
      >> record a few years from now? It's disposable tripe on par with Britney,
      >> etc. And I really doubt all of you Missy E lovers out there would be so
      >> into her if Ian Pinprick didn't write her up in the rag.
      >
      >First of all, you're assuming that Wire readers learned about her from the
      >magazine, Ralph, and that isn't so. I heard the Missy E singles on the
      >radio (in the US) and never read the Wire article.

      I think that it is pretty reasonable to assume that Wire readers read
      IP's review of the Missy E album, whether or not that was their first
      exposure to (the idea of) Missy is irrelevant. I cannot doubt that
      many other readers were intrigued by the overwhelmingly positive
      review in The Wire, and decided to check matters out for themselves.
      I doubt that a majority of them became "Missy E lovers". I was able
      to borrow the album from my sister in law (!) and found little of
      interest there. Whether this is due to my latent castration fears, or
      the facts that the music seemed too commercially driven I cannot
      truly say. My aesthetic analysis does not extent much beyond a simple
      like/dislike dichotomy. I leave the sophisticated stuff to the people
      who get paid for it.

      .anyway.

      An irritating person always used to say to me, "if you can't say
      anything nice, don't say anything at all"...

      ... in that spirit, and to help me catch up on my listening; which
      albums do people think are REALLY worthy of the top 50 list?

      Regards,

      chx

      --
      "meaning is the illusion of experience"

      chux@yahoogroups.com
      chux_vomitus@...
      chux_vom@...
    • Rob Thornton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2002
        On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, chux wrote:

        > >First of all, you're assuming that Wire readers learned about her from the
        > >magazine, Ralph, and that isn't so. I heard the Missy E singles on the
        > >radio (in the US) and never read the Wire article.
        >
        > I think that it is pretty reasonable to assume that Wire readers read
        > IP's review of the Missy E album, whether or not that was their first
        > exposure to (the idea of) Missy is irrelevant.

        Fair enough. I should have said _all_ Wire readers.

        Also, looks like I overreached myself. I never meant to imply that
        disliking Missy E means that you are politically "retrograde" or something
        silly like that.

        Think I'll take your advice chux, looks like I've got a lousy backhand and
        not enough accuracy.

        rob t.
      • Simon Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2002
          Without wishing to sound like some paranoid PC nut, what on EARTH is so
          exclamation-markable about borrowing a record from your sister in law??