[thewire] Year-End List

  • A.S. Van Dorston
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2002
      Finally got the latest Wire with their Top 50. The Wire has an annoying
      policy of including reissues and compilations in the list. I just included
      the NEW music.

      It's funny how The Wire is known for covering stuff that no one else does
      -- electronica, improv, modern composition and outer limits, yet commercial
      American hip hop & r&b nearly beats out everything (Jay-Z, Cannibal Ox,
      Missy Elliot, N*E*R*D, Saul Williams). Strange surprises were Bonnie
      'Prince' Billy and Low.

      New discoveries for me are Fennesz, No-Neck Blues Band, Electrelane and
      Jackie O Motherfucker. I look forward to checking those out.

      Odd fact -- the two polar opposite magazines, The Wire and Rolling Stone
      are the ONLY magazines to have Bjork number one in their lists, other than
      my own Fast 'n' Bulbous (www.fastnbulbous.com). Everyone else listed her
      further down. I don't think any other artist came close.

      I'm glad The Wire does what it does, but one has to take their list with a
      grain of salt as far as music that is actually enjoyable. As impressive as
      Cannibal Ox is, I could only listen to the whole thing through in one
      listen once. It doesn't get played much, which made it sink lower in my
      list than it was originally. Bonnie 'Prince' Billie and Low released
      relatively substandard albums compared to their other stuff, whereas The
      Strokes don't even exist as far as they're concerned, heh.

      1 Bjork * Vespertine
      2 Cannibal Ox * The Cold Vein
      3 Fennesz * Endless Summer
      5 Le Tigre * Feminist Sweepstakes
      8 Missy Elliot * Miss E...So Addictive
      9 Herbert * Bodily Functions
      10 No-Neck Blues Band * Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones
      11 Saul Williams * Amethyst Rock Star
      12 Jay-Z * The Blueprint
      14 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds * No More Shall We Part
      15 Bonnie 'Prince' Billy * Ease Down The Road
      16 Electrelane * Rock It To The Moon
      18 Radiohead * Amnesiac
      19 Low * Things We Lost In The Fire
      20 N-E-R-D * In Search Of...
      22 Spring Heel Jack * Masses
      23 Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso UFO * La Novia
      25 The Necks * Aether
      26 Taku Sugimoto * Italia
      27 Tortoise * Standards
      28 Toshimaru Nakamura * Sachiko M * Do
      29 Matmos * A Chance To Cut Is A Chance To Cure
      30 Jackie O Motherfucker * Liberation
      31 Fushitsusha * Origin's Hesitation
      32 Mercury Rev * All Is Dream
      34 Pulp * We Love Life
      35 David S Ware * Corridors & Parallels
      36 Glass Cage
      37 Roots Manuva * Run Come Save Me
      38 Buck 65 * Man Overboard
      39 Cyclo
      40 John Butcher/Derek Bailey/Rhodri Davies * Vortices & Angels
      41 DJ Rupture * Gold Teeth Thief
      43 Aesop Rock * Labor Days
      46 His Name Is Alive * Someday My Blues Will Cover The Earth
      47 Jemeel Moondoc * Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys
      48 Supersilent * 5
      49 Sylvia Hallett * White Fog
      50 Solid Steel Presetns DJ Food & DK * Now, Listen!

      Fast 'n' Bulbous Music Webzine
      www.fastnbulbous.com

    • JOEL A NURRE
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2002
        Could anyone post the compilations and reissues that were in the Wire
        Top-50?

        > 10 No-Neck Blues Band * Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones
        > 11 Saul Williams * Amethyst Rock Star
        > 12 Jay-Z * The Blueprint
        > 14 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds * No More Shall We Part
        > 15 Bonnie 'Prince' Billy * Ease Down The Road
        > 16 Electrelane * Rock It To The Moon
        > 18 Radiohead * Amnesiac
        > 19 Low * Things We Lost In The Fire
        > 20 N-E-R-D * In Search Of...
        > 22 Spring Heel Jack * Masses
        > 23 Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso UFO * La Novia
        > 25 The Necks * Aether
        > 26 Taku Sugimoto * Italia
        > 27 Tortoise * Standards
        > 28 Toshimaru Nakamura * Sachiko M * Do
        > 29 Matmos * A Chance To Cut Is A Chance To Cure
        > 30 Jackie O Motherfucker * Liberation
        > 31 Fushitsusha * Origin's Hesitation
        > 32 Mercury Rev * All Is Dream
        > 34 Pulp * We Love Life
        > 35 David S Ware * Corridors & Parallels
        > 36 Glass Cage
        > 37 Roots Manuva * Run Come Save Me
        > 38 Buck 65 * Man Overboard
        > 39 Cyclo
        > 40 John Butcher/Derek Bailey/Rhodri Davies * Vortices & Angels
        > 41 DJ Rupture * Gold Teeth Thief
        > 43 Aesop Rock * Labor Days
        > 46 His Name Is Alive * Someday My Blues Will Cover The Earth
        > 47 Jemeel Moondoc * Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys
        > 48 Supersilent * 5
        > 49 Sylvia Hallett * White Fog
        > 50 Solid Steel Presetns DJ Food & DK * Now, Listen!
      • Pablo Bernet
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2002
          Somebady of yours can send the electronic ranking of this year.

          Thanks.