Re: [thewire] hand painted music

  • Jim Flannery
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4 11:17 PM
      Eran Sachs wrote:

      > Are there any other works made with the same technique?

      As far as I know, this was done in the thirties, the first either Moholy-Nagy,
      in the thirties, on a film called _ABC of Sound_, or a Fischinger film I'm
      forgetting the title of; not sure of the sequence. I'd say the best-known is
      Norman McLaren's _Allegro_. There was a long thread on this stuff on the
      frameworks list in May -- you can root around in the archives at

      http://thecity.sfsu.edu/users/XFactor/fw/fw17/date.html

      (look for subject lines "Drawing Sound" and "music/optical track/Reeves")

      One of my favorite takes on the idea is Scott Stark's _The Sound of His Face_
      (1993?), which is a "film version of a biography of Kirk Douglas", made by
      putting 16mm film in a 35mm still camera & shooting the contents of a book ...
      the image (type, halftone photos) bleeds completely over the soundtrack area, so
      what you see is what you hear (one second later).

      Jim Flannery newgrange@...

      "For children are innocent and love justice; while most
      of us are wicked and naturally prefer mercy"
      -- G.K. Chesterton
      np: The Paupers, _Ellis Island_
      nr: Emmett Grogan, _Ringolevio_