Re: [thewire] hand painted music

  • Steve Bates
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
      there's a canadian trio made up of nilan perreira (guitar) and sarah
      peebles (computer) and another individual whose name i forget. he does
      caligraphy to sarah and nilan's music. there was a review in the wire a
      couple issues back. sarah has some connection collaboratively to david
      toop as well. sorry i'm missing so many blanks.

      steve

      steve bates
      [www.dimcoast.org]

      send + receive: a festival of sound
      [www.sendandreceive.org]

      ckuw 95.9 fm [www.ckuw.org]
      dim coast radio on ckuw:
      www.ckuw.org/listen.html
      fridays: 12:00 - 14:00 cst ::: 18:00 - 20:00 utc]

      On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Eran Sachs wrote:

      > Good evening fellow wireres,
      > I just read and article about Barry Spinello 68 "Sonata" and 69
      > "Soundtrack". These are two works that were composed by drawing and painting
      > by hand (pen, brush ruler amd more)on the track used for the sound in a 16"
      > film.
      > I'm wondering, does anyone have any knowledge of other works composed by the
      > very act of drawing, or painting or something along the same line (more
      > directly connected that Cardew`s graphic scores)? Are there any other works
      > made with the same technique?
      > Any insight welcome,
      > cheers,
      > ZAX

    • Jim Flannery
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
        Eran Sachs wrote:

        > Are there any other works made with the same technique?

        As far as I know, this was done in the thirties, the first either Moholy-Nagy,
        in the thirties, on a film called _ABC of Sound_, or a Fischinger film I'm
        forgetting the title of; not sure of the sequence. I'd say the best-known is
        Norman McLaren's _Allegro_. There was a long thread on this stuff on the
        frameworks list in May -- you can root around in the archives at

        http://thecity.sfsu.edu/users/XFactor/fw/fw17/date.html

        (look for subject lines "Drawing Sound" and "music/optical track/Reeves")

        One of my favorite takes on the idea is Scott Stark's _The Sound of His Face_
        (1993?), which is a "film version of a biography of Kirk Douglas", made by
        putting 16mm film in a 35mm still camera & shooting the contents of a book ...
        the image (type, halftone photos) bleeds completely over the soundtrack area, so
        what you see is what you hear (one second later).

        Jim Flannery newgrange@...

        "For children are innocent and love justice; while most
        of us are wicked and naturally prefer mercy"
        -- G.K. Chesterton
        np: The Paupers, _Ellis Island_
        nr: Emmett Grogan, _Ringolevio_