hand painted music

  • Eran Sachs
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
      Good evening fellow wireres,
      I just read and article about Barry Spinello 68 "Sonata" and 69
      "Soundtrack". These are two works that were composed by drawing and painting
      by hand (pen, brush ruler amd more)on the track used for the sound in a 16"
      film.
      I'm wondering, does anyone have any knowledge of other works composed by the
      very act of drawing, or painting or something along the same line (more
      directly connected that Cardew`s graphic scores)? Are there any other works
      made with the same technique?
      Any insight welcome,
      cheers,
      ZAX

    • Steve Bates
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
        there's a canadian trio made up of nilan perreira (guitar) and sarah
        peebles (computer) and another individual whose name i forget. he does
        caligraphy to sarah and nilan's music. there was a review in the wire a
        couple issues back. sarah has some connection collaboratively to david
        toop as well. sorry i'm missing so many blanks.

        steve

        steve bates
        [www.dimcoast.org]

        send + receive: a festival of sound
        [www.sendandreceive.org]

        ckuw 95.9 fm [www.ckuw.org]
        dim coast radio on ckuw:
        www.ckuw.org/listen.html
        fridays: 12:00 - 14:00 cst ::: 18:00 - 20:00 utc]

        On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Eran Sachs wrote:

        > Good evening fellow wireres,
        > I just read and article about Barry Spinello 68 "Sonata" and 69
        > "Soundtrack". These are two works that were composed by drawing and painting
        > by hand (pen, brush ruler amd more)on the track used for the sound in a 16"
        > film.
        > I'm wondering, does anyone have any knowledge of other works composed by the
        > very act of drawing, or painting or something along the same line (more
        > directly connected that Cardew`s graphic scores)? Are there any other works
        > made with the same technique?
        > Any insight welcome,
        > cheers,
        > ZAX

      • Jim Flannery
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
          Eran Sachs wrote:

          > Are there any other works made with the same technique?

          As far as I know, this was done in the thirties, the first either Moholy-Nagy,
          in the thirties, on a film called _ABC of Sound_, or a Fischinger film I'm
          forgetting the title of; not sure of the sequence. I'd say the best-known is
          Norman McLaren's _Allegro_. There was a long thread on this stuff on the
          frameworks list in May -- you can root around in the archives at

          http://thecity.sfsu.edu/users/XFactor/fw/fw17/date.html

          (look for subject lines "Drawing Sound" and "music/optical track/Reeves")

          One of my favorite takes on the idea is Scott Stark's _The Sound of His Face_
          (1993?), which is a "film version of a biography of Kirk Douglas", made by
          putting 16mm film in a 35mm still camera & shooting the contents of a book ...
          the image (type, halftone photos) bleeds completely over the soundtrack area, so
          what you see is what you hear (one second later).

          Jim Flannery newgrange@...

          "For children are innocent and love justice; while most
          of us are wicked and naturally prefer mercy"
          -- G.K. Chesterton
          np: The Paupers, _Ellis Island_
          nr: Emmett Grogan, _Ringolevio_