Re: [the wire] New Electronica/New Politics

  • Harvey Devoe Thornburg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 1999

      > From: "Franco Ingrassia" <ingrassia@...>

      > ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01BE3923.8AD05420

      Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

      I've always thought that factors such as you describe are the stuff
      behind politics, or to give it a name, "metapolitics". I agree this is
      a proper domain for art (not as subject but as an environment for
      art to thrive within). I believe technological issues; the rise of
      digital media etc. is such a metapolitical situation worth exploring
      through sound art, especially because it is so hard to articulate through
      other means.

      > =20
      > 2.
      > Another thing: politics and ideology are not equal terms. Avant-garde =
      > politics refers to the articulation of action and thinking in order to =
      > produce revolutionary changes in society. Ideology, on the other hands, =
      > refers to a system of beliefs son social groups generate to control and =
      > manipulate others. Ideology is always created for the purpouse of =
      > domination, while avant-garde politics (theoretically and practically) =
      > tends to free ourselves from the actual ideologic hegemony.
      > =20

      Again, I find myself in agreement with you, which is why I used the word
      "ideology" in the end.

      --Harvey