Re: [the wire] New Electronica

  • Harvey Devoe Thornburg
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 1999
      > Electronic music of the =B490 seems to break the "pacific =
      > futurism" approach of the =B470.=20
      > =BFIs Electronic Music possible without the idea of progress? =
      > Oval, Autechre, FXtwin, Mouse on Mars and Pan sonic seem to prove it is.
      > Negating the idea of Electronic Music as a technic space of =
      > absolut control over all the parameters of aural events, this groops =
      > register the limitations and defects of electronic devices and =
      > articulate them in a new languaje.

      One could argue, however, that the glitches/inadequacies are which
      distinguish the medium as "new". The artists just as easily could
      be flaunting the idea of progress as calling it into question.

      We hear constantly about the limitless capacity of digital
      technology to simulate "the real" through "absolute control".
      This attitude is particularly evident in the movie industry, but
      I hear that producers are up in arms because computer-generated
      effects do too good of a job, they go beyond the "Hollywood"
      versions everybody expects to see. This is a big deal even for
      mundane things such as a landscape.

      Artists who learn to deal with the new media through intutive
      processes recognize the futility of "absolute control"; in
      giving "mistakes" equal consideration with purposeful uses of the
      technology they restore the possibility of an intuitive approach.

      I think this is more a practical than ideological manner, to work with
      what you have and somehow find a way to make great art. As such,
      electronic artists provide a check on "progress for its own sake".

      > The historic dialectic between cultural and political =
      > avant-garde is now disolved. I think that contemporary art should debate =
      > what went wrong in order to understant (and transform) its present. For =
      > me the future lies in the posiblity to recreate this bond between =
      > cultural and political avant-garde in new ways.
      > What do YOU think?

      I think the worst thing that could possibly happen is for art to
      become a slave to the political. Ideology ends only in one thing:
      mass bloodshed.

      --Harvey