Re: Fela

  • Perfect Sound Forever
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 1999
      tsasscer@... (Version) wrote:

      > LAGOS, Dec 30 (AFP) - Bulldozers acting on the orders of a Lagos
      > court on Wednesday razed the place where late Nigerian Afro-beat
      > musician Fela Anikulapo used to play his music.
      > About 50 policemen and some armed men were around to monitor the
      > demolition which lasted a few hours, the independent newspaper P.M.
      > News reported here.
      > It said the action followed the expiration of an injunction by
      > the court for the family of the late musician to vacate the place.
      > The "shrine" used to serve as a hall for Fela's many admirers
      > before he died of AIDS last year.
      > The property situated in the heart of Ikeja, southwest Lagos,
      > had been a subject of litigation before Fela died.

      Fela had many battles with the Nigerian authorities so this isn't too surprising. He'd been in jail for years for a stupid, trumped up charge and had his compound burned down at least once by the authorities. Years ago, a Nigerian told me 'the only reason that he's still around is because his mother is so respected!' Of
      course you know that the govt there is extremely corrupt (even more so than the States).

      Perfect Sound Forever
      online music magazine
      perfect-sound@...
      http://www.furious.com/perfect