Up and Down

  • tsasscer@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 1999
      The following thoughts are offered for discussion purposes.

      I recently saw the Einsturzende Neubaten show in Chicago and was
      underwhelmed, although I liked it enough. I guess I expected something less
      restrained and European. The Halber Mensch video is so imprinted on me that
      I may have been living in the past.

      I recently saw Patti Smith's show in Chicago, and she TORE THE PLACE UP.
      Completely uplifting!

      I recently bought the Art Ensemble of Chicago's new cd ( I haven't read the
      Wire's review of it, although I noticed that they cover it in the new
      issue). It bored me. Although the bass (and all of it, actually) was
      exquisitely recorded, and I have long dreamed of a Caribbean Avant/Garde,
      this was based on themes and riffs which lack DREAD feelings, and didn't
      reach me.

      I recently bought the new cd by The Ex, and the verdict is still out. They
      are my favorite pop combo, and it was recorded right here (Chicago, if you
      haven't guessed) with Steve Albini, AND they have given some
      motherfuckingly great shows in the recent past...and still I'm not sure
      about this album. Any other Ex-philes out there? What do you think?

      Lastly, any comments on the following: (Collapsing Old Bulidings or Sacrilege?)

      Bulldozers demolish late Nigerian musician Fela's "shrine"

      LAGOS, Dec 30 (AFP) - Bulldozers acting on the orders of a Lagos
      court on Wednesday razed the place where late Nigerian Afro-beat
      musician Fela Anikulapo used to play his music.
      About 50 policemen and some armed men were around to monitor the
      demolition which lasted a few hours, the independent newspaper P.M.
      News reported here.
      It said the action followed the expiration of an injunction by
      the court for the family of the late musician to vacate the place.
      The "shrine" used to serve as a hall for Fela's many admirers
      before he died of AIDS last year.
      The property situated in the heart of Ikeja, southwest Lagos,
      had been a subject of litigation before Fela died.