Re: [thewire] vacationing in Anaphoria

  • Kraig Grady
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
      mIEKAL!
      Now its not every one who has issues of Interval lying around. You must
      have some interest in all this stuff yourself so please tell.

      As far a lollapalooza there are now 3 maybe 4 festivals yearly. oops 5

      Johnny Reinhardt puts on the american festival of microtonal music for the
      last maybe 12 years.
      two others and myself put on microfest here on the west coast. 4 years
      coming up.

      John Catler and others have started a world out of tune festival.
      Sonja Wayne in El Paso has started Microhoot which plans to be nomadic and
      travel from city to city.
      Neil Haverstick put one on in Denver which i am not sure the name of.

      mIEKAL aND wrote:

      > this is facinating... living in a pretty remote area of Wisconsin a lot
      > of the music discussed is virtually impossible to get ahold of so all
      > that I know of Jim French is reduced to his picture on the cover of an
      > old Interval (or was it 1/1) magazine. A gourd over his head with some
      > sort of pipe sticking out & as I remember not much documentation about
      > whether it was an instrument or simply a mask. There are, of course a
      > number of folks how work with microtonal winds, (of the slide
      > variety)...
      >
      > does the micronation movement have their own version of lollapalooza?
      >
      > mIEKAL

      -- Kraig Grady
      North American Embassy of Anaphoria island
      http://www.anaphoria.com

      The Wandering Medicine Show
      Wed. 8-9 KXLU 88.9 fm
    • David Beardsley
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
        From: Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@...>

        > mIEKAL!
        > Now its not every one who has issues of Interval lying around. You
        must
        > have some interest in all this stuff yourself so please tell.
        >
        > As far a lollapalooza there are now 3 maybe 4 festivals yearly. oops 5
        >
        > Johnny Reinhardt puts on the american festival of microtonal music for the
        > last maybe 12 years.

        More like 20+!

        > two others and myself put on microfest here on the west coast. 4 years
        > coming up.
        >
        > John Catler and others have started a world out of tune festival.

        http://microtones.com/woot
        http://microtones.com/

        * David Beardsley
        * http://biink.com
        * http://mp3.com/davidbeardsley
      • Kraig Grady
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
          David!
          Stand corrected, how time flies when you have you head in the cracks.
          also added a t to Reinhard that didn't belong.
          BTW are you one of the WOOT producers?

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
            From: Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@...>

            > David!
            > Stand corrected, how time flies when you have you head in the cracks.
            > also added a t to Reinhard that didn't belong.
            > BTW are you one of the WOOT producers?

            Kind of, but it's really Jon's festival.

            * David Beardsley
            * http://biink.com
            * http://mp3.com/davidbeardsley
          • mIEKAL aND
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 6, 2001
              Ive been working with a notion called hand-print intonation with gourd
              saxophones. That is I get a gourd, put a mouthpiece on it & then get
              comfortable holding that particular gourd in some way that reflects the
              shapes of the gourd. I then make holes in the places that my fingers
              have settled upon. sort of neaderthal harmonic theory. A few of my
              music projects can be found at:

              RADIO CATERPILLAR

              http://cla.umn.edu/joglars/radio_caterpillar/index.html

              pictures of a few instruments at:

              http://net22.com/qazingulaza/inventedinstruments.html

              radio caterpillar is also the name of my email radio station, but I
              think it is having some downtime right now.

              mIEKAL

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 6, 2001
                mIEKAL aND!
                Really would like to see/hear more!

                When Jim was making an instrument to match on of my retuned vibraphones,
                the first thing he did is but his fingers down on the tube and said this is
                where the holes were going to be, weather i liked it or not :)
                From here, it was a matter of having a set of drill bits of graduated
                width and we proceeded up until we got the pitches we could. When tuning we
                also had him play evenly without seeing the tuner so he wouldn't adjust to
                it. you probably have noticed that the smaller the hole the more control you
                can have over the tuning!