Re: [thewire] vacationing in Anaphoria

  • David Beardsley
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
      Good news! I'm looking forward to this.

      dB

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@...>

      > David!
      > 2-3.5 months!
    • mIEKAL aND
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
        Kraig Grady wrote:

        > mIEKAL!
        > I would tend to agree but would stretch it to the 12 tone system.
        > Recently i saw a great improv trio in L.A. ( OPEN CITY they are
        > great) with
        > two guitar players/drummer doing amazing stuff , but couldn't help but
        > feel
        > that the frets on their instruments stood more in their way of what
        > they
        > wanted to do than helped it along, not that that stopped them

        being an inveterate guitar torturer, removing the frets has always been
        the first thing I do to them..

        > We have been working with Jim French (was playing with Even Parker
        > at
        > 16, and who Jacki Baard referred to as the greatest sax player he had
        > played
        > with) in the reconstruction of Anaphorian woodwinds. (His record on
        > Metalanguage unfortunately does not capture him). French himself
        > abandoned
        > western winds when he realized he could not get the scales and sounds
        > he
        > wanted and began building his own. Many of his mouthpieces are being
        > used by
        > Pharaoh Sanders. Anyways the size of the saxophone holes makes it
        > inappropriate for different tunings outside the limits of say a Samir
        > Srour
        > who seems to have nailed the neutral thirds needed for Egyptian pop
        > music.
        > (look for cassettes, not the cd, only)
        > Anyway French will be appearing on the upcoming "Nomads of
        > Anaphoria"
        > (should i be sending this to the announcement list :) ) with an 3
        > double
        > reed instruments made of deer bone with four holes called a Svegl.

        this is facinating... living in a pretty remote area of Wisconsin a lot
        of the music discussed is virtually impossible to get ahold of so all
        that I know of Jim French is reduced to his picture on the cover of an
        old Interval (or was it 1/1) magazine. A gourd over his head with some
        sort of pipe sticking out & as I remember not much documentation about
        whether it was an instrument or simply a mask. There are, of course a
        number of folks how work with microtonal winds, (of the slide
        variety)...

        does the micronation movement have their own version of lollapalooza?

        mIEKAL

      • Kraig Grady
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
          mIEKAL!
          Now its not every one who has issues of Interval lying around. You must
          have some interest in all this stuff yourself so please tell.

          As far a lollapalooza there are now 3 maybe 4 festivals yearly. oops 5

          Johnny Reinhardt puts on the american festival of microtonal music for the
          last maybe 12 years.
          two others and myself put on microfest here on the west coast. 4 years
          coming up.

          John Catler and others have started a world out of tune festival.
          Sonja Wayne in El Paso has started Microhoot which plans to be nomadic and
          travel from city to city.
          Neil Haverstick put one on in Denver which i am not sure the name of.

          mIEKAL aND wrote:

          > this is facinating... living in a pretty remote area of Wisconsin a lot
          > of the music discussed is virtually impossible to get ahold of so all
          > that I know of Jim French is reduced to his picture on the cover of an
          > old Interval (or was it 1/1) magazine. A gourd over his head with some
          > sort of pipe sticking out & as I remember not much documentation about
          > whether it was an instrument or simply a mask. There are, of course a
          > number of folks how work with microtonal winds, (of the slide
          > variety)...
          >
          > does the micronation movement have their own version of lollapalooza?
          >
          > mIEKAL

          -- Kraig Grady
          North American Embassy of Anaphoria island
          http://www.anaphoria.com

          The Wandering Medicine Show
          Wed. 8-9 KXLU 88.9 fm
        • David Beardsley
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
            From: Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@...>

            > mIEKAL!
            > Now its not every one who has issues of Interval lying around. You
            must
            > have some interest in all this stuff yourself so please tell.
            >
            > As far a lollapalooza there are now 3 maybe 4 festivals yearly. oops 5
            >
            > Johnny Reinhardt puts on the american festival of microtonal music for the
            > last maybe 12 years.

            More like 20+!

            > two others and myself put on microfest here on the west coast. 4 years
            > coming up.
            >
            > John Catler and others have started a world out of tune festival.

            http://microtones.com/woot
            http://microtones.com/

            * David Beardsley
            * http://biink.com
            * http://mp3.com/davidbeardsley
          • Kraig Grady
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
              David!
              Stand corrected, how time flies when you have you head in the cracks.
              also added a t to Reinhard that didn't belong.
              BTW are you one of the WOOT producers?

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                From: Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@...>

                > David!
                > Stand corrected, how time flies when you have you head in the cracks.
                > also added a t to Reinhard that didn't belong.
                > BTW are you one of the WOOT producers?

                Kind of, but it's really Jon's festival.

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 6, 2001
                  Ive been working with a notion called hand-print intonation with gourd
                  saxophones. That is I get a gourd, put a mouthpiece on it & then get
                  comfortable holding that particular gourd in some way that reflects the
                  shapes of the gourd. I then make holes in the places that my fingers
                  have settled upon. sort of neaderthal harmonic theory. A few of my
                  music projects can be found at:

                  RADIO CATERPILLAR

                  http://cla.umn.edu/joglars/radio_caterpillar/index.html

                  pictures of a few instruments at:

                  http://net22.com/qazingulaza/inventedinstruments.html

                  radio caterpillar is also the name of my email radio station, but I
                  think it is having some downtime right now.

                  mIEKAL

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 6, 2001
                    mIEKAL aND!
                    Really would like to see/hear more!

                    When Jim was making an instrument to match on of my retuned vibraphones,
                    the first thing he did is but his fingers down on the tube and said this is
                    where the holes were going to be, weather i liked it or not :)
                    From here, it was a matter of having a set of drill bits of graduated
                    width and we proceeded up until we got the pitches we could. When tuning we
                    also had him play evenly without seeing the tuner so he wouldn't adjust to
                    it. you probably have noticed that the smaller the hole the more control you
                    can have over the tuning!