Re: [thewire] vacationing in Anaphoria

  • David Beardsley
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@...>

      > Anyway French will be appearing on the upcoming "Nomads of Anaphoria"
      > (should i be sending this to the announcement list :) ) with an 3 double
      > reed instruments made of deer bone with four holes called a Svegl.

      What's the ETA on this?

      * David Beardsley
      * http://biink.com
      * http://mp3.com/davidbeardsley
    • Kraig Grady
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
        David!
        2-3.5 months!

        David Beardsley wrote:

> [...]

        -- Kraig Grady
        North American Embassy of Anaphoria island
        http://www.anaphoria.com

        The Wandering Medicine Show
        Wed. 8-9 KXLU 88.9 fm
      • David Beardsley
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
          Good news! I'm looking forward to this.

          dB

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
              mIEKAL!
              Now its not every one who has issues of Interval lying around. You must
              have some interest in all this stuff yourself so please tell.

              As far a lollapalooza there are now 3 maybe 4 festivals yearly. oops 5

              Johnny Reinhardt puts on the american festival of microtonal music for the
              last maybe 12 years.
              two others and myself put on microfest here on the west coast. 4 years
              coming up.

              John Catler and others have started a world out of tune festival.
              Sonja Wayne in El Paso has started Microhoot which plans to be nomadic and
              travel from city to city.
              Neil Haverstick put one on in Denver which i am not sure the name of.

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                > Now its not every one who has issues of Interval lying around. You
                must
                > have some interest in all this stuff yourself so please tell.
                >
                > As far a lollapalooza there are now 3 maybe 4 festivals yearly. oops 5
                >
                > Johnny Reinhardt puts on the american festival of microtonal music for the
                > last maybe 12 years.

                More like 20+!

                http://microtones.com/woot
                http://microtones.com/

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                  David!
                  Stand corrected, how time flies when you have you head in the cracks.
                  also added a t to Reinhard that didn't belong.
                  BTW are you one of the WOOT producers?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 6, 2001
                      Ive been working with a notion called hand-print intonation with gourd
                      saxophones. That is I get a gourd, put a mouthpiece on it & then get
                      comfortable holding that particular gourd in some way that reflects the
                      shapes of the gourd. I then make holes in the places that my fingers
                      have settled upon. sort of neaderthal harmonic theory. A few of my
                      music projects can be found at:

                      RADIO CATERPILLAR

                      http://cla.umn.edu/joglars/radio_caterpillar/index.html

                      pictures of a few instruments at:

                      http://net22.com/qazingulaza/inventedinstruments.html

                      radio caterpillar is also the name of my email radio station, but I
                      think it is having some downtime right now.

                      mIEKAL

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 6, 2001
                        mIEKAL aND!
                        Really would like to see/hear more!

                        When Jim was making an instrument to match on of my retuned vibraphones,
                        the first thing he did is but his fingers down on the tube and said this is
                        where the holes were going to be, weather i liked it or not :)
                        From here, it was a matter of having a set of drill bits of graduated
                        width and we proceeded up until we got the pitches we could. When tuning we
                        also had him play evenly without seeing the tuner so he wouldn't adjust to
                        it. you probably have noticed that the smaller the hole the more control you
                        can have over the tuning!