Re: [thewire] vacationing in Anaphoria

  • Kraig Grady
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
      mIEKAL!
      I would tend to agree but would stretch it to the 12 tone system.
      Recently i saw a great improv trio in L.A. ( OPEN CITY they are great) with
      two guitar players/drummer doing amazing stuff , but couldn't help but feel
      that the frets on their instruments stood more in their way of what they
      wanted to do than helped it along, not that that stopped them

      We have been working with Jim French (was playing with Even Parker at
      16, and who Jacki Baard referred to as the greatest sax player he had played
      with) in the reconstruction of Anaphorian woodwinds. (His record on
      Metalanguage unfortunately does not capture him). French himself abandoned
      western winds when he realized he could not get the scales and sounds he
      wanted and began building his own. Many of his mouthpieces are being used by
      Pharaoh Sanders. Anyways the size of the saxophone holes makes it
      inappropriate for different tunings outside the limits of say a Samir Srour
      who seems to have nailed the neutral thirds needed for Egyptian pop music.
      (look for cassettes, not the cd, only)
      Anyway French will be appearing on the upcoming "Nomads of Anaphoria"
      (should i be sending this to the announcement list :) ) with an 3 double
      reed instruments made of deer bone with four holes called a Svegl.

      mIEKAL aND wrote:

      > My idea of an engaging vacation is somewhere where the music playing is
      > not the same weary diatonic scales this world seems to take for a
      > given. Or where instrumentality & virtuosity are not necesarily
      > synonymous.
      >
      > mIEKAL
      >
      > waiting patiently for the advent of microtonal saxophones....

      -- Kraig Grady
      North American Embassy of Anaphoria island
      http://www.anaphoria.com

      The Wandering Medicine Show
      Wed. 8-9 KXLU 88.9 fm
    • David Beardsley
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
        > Anyway French will be appearing on the upcoming "Nomads of Anaphoria"
        > (should i be sending this to the announcement list :) ) with an 3 double
        > reed instruments made of deer bone with four holes called a Svegl.

        What's the ETA on this?

        * David Beardsley
        * http://biink.com
        * http://mp3.com/davidbeardsley
      • Kraig Grady
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
          David!
          2-3.5 months!

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
            Good news! I'm looking forward to this.

            dB

              > I would tend to agree but would stretch it to the 12 tone system.
              > Recently i saw a great improv trio in L.A. ( OPEN CITY they are
              > great) with
              > two guitar players/drummer doing amazing stuff , but couldn't help but
              > feel
              > that the frets on their instruments stood more in their way of what
              > they
              > wanted to do than helped it along, not that that stopped them

              being an inveterate guitar torturer, removing the frets has always been
              the first thing I do to them..

              > We have been working with Jim French (was playing with Even Parker
              > at
              > 16, and who Jacki Baard referred to as the greatest sax player he had
              > played
              > with) in the reconstruction of Anaphorian woodwinds. (His record on
              > Metalanguage unfortunately does not capture him). French himself
              > abandoned
              > western winds when he realized he could not get the scales and sounds
              > he
              > wanted and began building his own. Many of his mouthpieces are being
              > used by
              > Pharaoh Sanders. Anyways the size of the saxophone holes makes it
              > inappropriate for different tunings outside the limits of say a Samir
              > Srour
              > who seems to have nailed the neutral thirds needed for Egyptian pop
              > music.
              > (look for cassettes, not the cd, only)
              > Anyway French will be appearing on the upcoming "Nomads of
              > Anaphoria"
              > (should i be sending this to the announcement list :) ) with an 3
              > double
              > reed instruments made of deer bone with four holes called a Svegl.

              this is facinating... living in a pretty remote area of Wisconsin a lot
              of the music discussed is virtually impossible to get ahold of so all
              that I know of Jim French is reduced to his picture on the cover of an
              old Interval (or was it 1/1) magazine. A gourd over his head with some
              sort of pipe sticking out & as I remember not much documentation about
              whether it was an instrument or simply a mask. There are, of course a
              number of folks how work with microtonal winds, (of the slide
              variety)...

              does the micronation movement have their own version of lollapalooza?

              mIEKAL

            • Kraig Grady
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                mIEKAL!
                Now its not every one who has issues of Interval lying around. You must
                have some interest in all this stuff yourself so please tell.

                As far a lollapalooza there are now 3 maybe 4 festivals yearly. oops 5

                Johnny Reinhardt puts on the american festival of microtonal music for the
                last maybe 12 years.
                two others and myself put on microfest here on the west coast. 4 years
                coming up.

                John Catler and others have started a world out of tune festival.
                Sonja Wayne in El Paso has started Microhoot which plans to be nomadic and
                travel from city to city.
                Neil Haverstick put one on in Denver which i am not sure the name of.

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                  > Now its not every one who has issues of Interval lying around. You
                  must
                  > have some interest in all this stuff yourself so please tell.
                  >
                  > As far a lollapalooza there are now 3 maybe 4 festivals yearly. oops 5
                  >
                  > Johnny Reinhardt puts on the american festival of microtonal music for the
                  > last maybe 12 years.

                  More like 20+!

                  http://microtones.com/woot
                  http://microtones.com/

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                    David!
                    Stand corrected, how time flies when you have you head in the cracks.
                    also added a t to Reinhard that didn't belong.
                    BTW are you one of the WOOT producers?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 6, 2001
                        Ive been working with a notion called hand-print intonation with gourd
                        saxophones. That is I get a gourd, put a mouthpiece on it & then get
                        comfortable holding that particular gourd in some way that reflects the
                        shapes of the gourd. I then make holes in the places that my fingers
                        have settled upon. sort of neaderthal harmonic theory. A few of my
                        music projects can be found at:

                        RADIO CATERPILLAR

                        http://cla.umn.edu/joglars/radio_caterpillar/index.html

                        pictures of a few instruments at:

                        http://net22.com/qazingulaza/inventedinstruments.html

                        radio caterpillar is also the name of my email radio station, but I
                        think it is having some downtime right now.

                        mIEKAL

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 6, 2001
                          mIEKAL aND!
                          Really would like to see/hear more!

                          When Jim was making an instrument to match on of my retuned vibraphones,
                          the first thing he did is but his fingers down on the tube and said this is
                          where the holes were going to be, weather i liked it or not :)
                          From here, it was a matter of having a set of drill bits of graduated
                          width and we proceeded up until we got the pitches we could. When tuning we
                          also had him play evenly without seeing the tuner so he wouldn't adjust to
                          it. you probably have noticed that the smaller the hole the more control you
                          can have over the tuning!