Re: [thewire] vacationing in Anaphoria

  • mIEKAL aND
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
      My idea of an engaging vacation is somewhere where the music playing is
      not the same weary diatonic scales this world seems to take for a
      given. Or where instrumentality & virtuosity are not necesarily
      synonymous.

      mIEKAL

      waiting patiently for the advent of microtonal saxophones....

      Kraig Grady wrote:

      > mIEKAL!
      >
      > mIEKAL aND wrote:
      >
      > > How does one vacation in Anaphoria?
      >
      > My visits there have been enjoyable but not for the reasons
      > one
      > associates with vacations. As opposed to the lying on the beach in the
      > sun,
      > one physical comfort can be taxed with the lack of facilities one
      > might be
      > used to. Often travel in areas in not met not so much with hostility,
      > as
      > with an aloofness and distance. It takes some time to secure even a
      > modest
      > contact.

    • Kraig Grady
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
        mIEKAL!
        I would tend to agree but would stretch it to the 12 tone system.
        Recently i saw a great improv trio in L.A. ( OPEN CITY they are great) with
        two guitar players/drummer doing amazing stuff , but couldn't help but feel
        that the frets on their instruments stood more in their way of what they
        wanted to do than helped it along, not that that stopped them

        We have been working with Jim French (was playing with Even Parker at
        16, and who Jacki Baard referred to as the greatest sax player he had played
        with) in the reconstruction of Anaphorian woodwinds. (His record on
        Metalanguage unfortunately does not capture him). French himself abandoned
        western winds when he realized he could not get the scales and sounds he
        wanted and began building his own. Many of his mouthpieces are being used by
        Pharaoh Sanders. Anyways the size of the saxophone holes makes it
        inappropriate for different tunings outside the limits of say a Samir Srour
        who seems to have nailed the neutral thirds needed for Egyptian pop music.
        (look for cassettes, not the cd, only)
        Anyway French will be appearing on the upcoming "Nomads of Anaphoria"
        (should i be sending this to the announcement list :) ) with an 3 double
        reed instruments made of deer bone with four holes called a Svegl.

        mIEKAL aND wrote:

        > My idea of an engaging vacation is somewhere where the music playing is
        > not the same weary diatonic scales this world seems to take for a
        > given. Or where instrumentality & virtuosity are not necesarily
        > synonymous.
        >
        > mIEKAL
        >
        > waiting patiently for the advent of microtonal saxophones....

        -- Kraig Grady
        North American Embassy of Anaphoria island
        http://www.anaphoria.com

        The Wandering Medicine Show
        Wed. 8-9 KXLU 88.9 fm
      • David Beardsley
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
          From: Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@...>

          > Anyway French will be appearing on the upcoming "Nomads of Anaphoria"
          > (should i be sending this to the announcement list :) ) with an 3 double
          > reed instruments made of deer bone with four holes called a Svegl.

          What's the ETA on this?

          * David Beardsley
          * http://biink.com
          * http://mp3.com/davidbeardsley
        • Kraig Grady
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
            David!
            2-3.5 months!

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
              Good news! I'm looking forward to this.

              dB

                > I would tend to agree but would stretch it to the 12 tone system.
                > Recently i saw a great improv trio in L.A. ( OPEN CITY they are
                > great) with
                > two guitar players/drummer doing amazing stuff , but couldn't help but
                > feel
                > that the frets on their instruments stood more in their way of what
                > they
                > wanted to do than helped it along, not that that stopped them

                being an inveterate guitar torturer, removing the frets has always been
                the first thing I do to them..

                > We have been working with Jim French (was playing with Even Parker
                > at
                > 16, and who Jacki Baard referred to as the greatest sax player he had
                > played
                > with) in the reconstruction of Anaphorian woodwinds. (His record on
                > Metalanguage unfortunately does not capture him). French himself
                > abandoned
                > western winds when he realized he could not get the scales and sounds
                > he
                > wanted and began building his own. Many of his mouthpieces are being
                > used by
                > Pharaoh Sanders. Anyways the size of the saxophone holes makes it
                > inappropriate for different tunings outside the limits of say a Samir
                > Srour
                > who seems to have nailed the neutral thirds needed for Egyptian pop
                > music.
                > (look for cassettes, not the cd, only)
                > Anyway French will be appearing on the upcoming "Nomads of
                > Anaphoria"
                > (should i be sending this to the announcement list :) ) with an 3
                > double
                > reed instruments made of deer bone with four holes called a Svegl.

                this is facinating... living in a pretty remote area of Wisconsin a lot
                of the music discussed is virtually impossible to get ahold of so all
                that I know of Jim French is reduced to his picture on the cover of an
                old Interval (or was it 1/1) magazine. A gourd over his head with some
                sort of pipe sticking out & as I remember not much documentation about
                whether it was an instrument or simply a mask. There are, of course a
                number of folks how work with microtonal winds, (of the slide
                variety)...

                does the micronation movement have their own version of lollapalooza?

                mIEKAL

              • Kraig Grady
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                  mIEKAL!
                  Now its not every one who has issues of Interval lying around. You must
                  have some interest in all this stuff yourself so please tell.

                  As far a lollapalooza there are now 3 maybe 4 festivals yearly. oops 5

                  Johnny Reinhardt puts on the american festival of microtonal music for the
                  last maybe 12 years.
                  two others and myself put on microfest here on the west coast. 4 years
                  coming up.

                  John Catler and others have started a world out of tune festival.
                  Sonja Wayne in El Paso has started Microhoot which plans to be nomadic and
                  travel from city to city.
                  Neil Haverstick put one on in Denver which i am not sure the name of.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                    From: Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@...>

                    > mIEKAL!
                    > Now its not every one who has issues of Interval lying around. You
                    must
                    > have some interest in all this stuff yourself so please tell.
                    >
                    > As far a lollapalooza there are now 3 maybe 4 festivals yearly. oops 5
                    >
                    > Johnny Reinhardt puts on the american festival of microtonal music for the
                    > last maybe 12 years.

                    More like 20+!

                    http://microtones.com/woot
                    http://microtones.com/

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                      David!
                      Stand corrected, how time flies when you have you head in the cracks.
                      also added a t to Reinhard that didn't belong.
                      BTW are you one of the WOOT producers?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                        From: Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@...>

                        > David!
                        > Stand corrected, how time flies when you have you head in the cracks.
                        > also added a t to Reinhard that didn't belong.
                        > BTW are you one of the WOOT producers?

                        Kind of, but it's really Jon's festival.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 6, 2001
                          Ive been working with a notion called hand-print intonation with gourd
                          saxophones. That is I get a gourd, put a mouthpiece on it & then get
                          comfortable holding that particular gourd in some way that reflects the
                          shapes of the gourd. I then make holes in the places that my fingers
                          have settled upon. sort of neaderthal harmonic theory. A few of my
                          music projects can be found at:

                          RADIO CATERPILLAR

                          http://cla.umn.edu/joglars/radio_caterpillar/index.html

                          pictures of a few instruments at:

                          http://net22.com/qazingulaza/inventedinstruments.html

                          radio caterpillar is also the name of my email radio station, but I
                          think it is having some downtime right now.

                          mIEKAL

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 6, 2001
                            mIEKAL aND!
                            Really would like to see/hear more!

                            When Jim was making an instrument to match on of my retuned vibraphones,
                            the first thing he did is but his fingers down on the tube and said this is
                            where the holes were going to be, weather i liked it or not :)
                            From here, it was a matter of having a set of drill bits of graduated
                            width and we proceeded up until we got the pitches we could. When tuning we
                            also had him play evenly without seeing the tuner so he wouldn't adjust to
                            it. you probably have noticed that the smaller the hole the more control you
                            can have over the tuning!