Re: [thewire] vacationing in Anaphoria

  • Kraig Grady
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
      mIEKAL!

      mIEKAL aND wrote:

      > How does one vacation in Anaphoria?

      My visits there have been enjoyable but not for the reasons one
      associates with vacations. As opposed to the lying on the beach in the sun,
      one physical comfort can be taxed with the lack of facilities one might be
      used to. Often travel in areas in not met not so much with hostility, as
      with an aloofness and distance. It takes some time to secure even a modest
      contact.
      On the larger level, being a nation of exiles, much of the world's
      strife is condensed into a smaller area. Fortunately time has allowed many
      former rivals to at least co-exist via an unspoken truce. There is still
      great misunderstandings between factions. but no one here is no longer
      unafraid to misunderstand.

      > Does everyone speak in anaphora in
      > Anaphoria?

      Each in their own dialect/language. Could you repeat that.

      > text_TOWER

      very very beautiful.

      Is there not a great desire among us to alchemically transform the prima
      materia of ruins /waste
      into a polished multifaceted gem.

      > 21 feet of text & growing.
      >
      > http://cla.umn.edu/joglars/text_tower/index.php

      -- Kraig Grady
      North American Embassy of Anaphoria island
      http://www.anaphoria.com

      The Wandering Medicine Show
      Wed. 8-9 KXLU 88.9 fm
    • mIEKAL aND
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
        My idea of an engaging vacation is somewhere where the music playing is
        not the same weary diatonic scales this world seems to take for a
        given. Or where instrumentality & virtuosity are not necesarily
        synonymous.

        mIEKAL

        waiting patiently for the advent of microtonal saxophones....

        Kraig Grady wrote:

        > mIEKAL!
        >
        > mIEKAL aND wrote:
        >
        > > How does one vacation in Anaphoria?
        >
        > My visits there have been enjoyable but not for the reasons
        > one
        > associates with vacations. As opposed to the lying on the beach in the
        > sun,
        > one physical comfort can be taxed with the lack of facilities one
        > might be
        > used to. Often travel in areas in not met not so much with hostility,
        > as
        > with an aloofness and distance. It takes some time to secure even a
        > modest
        > contact.

      • Kraig Grady
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
          mIEKAL!
          I would tend to agree but would stretch it to the 12 tone system.
          Recently i saw a great improv trio in L.A. ( OPEN CITY they are great) with
          two guitar players/drummer doing amazing stuff , but couldn't help but feel
          that the frets on their instruments stood more in their way of what they
          wanted to do than helped it along, not that that stopped them

          We have been working with Jim French (was playing with Even Parker at
          16, and who Jacki Baard referred to as the greatest sax player he had played
          with) in the reconstruction of Anaphorian woodwinds. (His record on
          Metalanguage unfortunately does not capture him). French himself abandoned
          western winds when he realized he could not get the scales and sounds he
          wanted and began building his own. Many of his mouthpieces are being used by
          Pharaoh Sanders. Anyways the size of the saxophone holes makes it
          inappropriate for different tunings outside the limits of say a Samir Srour
          who seems to have nailed the neutral thirds needed for Egyptian pop music.
          (look for cassettes, not the cd, only)
          Anyway French will be appearing on the upcoming "Nomads of Anaphoria"
          (should i be sending this to the announcement list :) ) with an 3 double
          reed instruments made of deer bone with four holes called a Svegl.

          mIEKAL aND wrote:

          > My idea of an engaging vacation is somewhere where the music playing is
          > not the same weary diatonic scales this world seems to take for a
          > given. Or where instrumentality & virtuosity are not necesarily
          > synonymous.
          >
          > mIEKAL
          >
          > waiting patiently for the advent of microtonal saxophones....

          -- Kraig Grady
          North American Embassy of Anaphoria island
          http://www.anaphoria.com

          The Wandering Medicine Show
          Wed. 8-9 KXLU 88.9 fm
        • David Beardsley
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
            From: Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@...>

            > Anyway French will be appearing on the upcoming "Nomads of Anaphoria"
            > (should i be sending this to the announcement list :) ) with an 3 double
            > reed instruments made of deer bone with four holes called a Svegl.

            What's the ETA on this?

            * David Beardsley
            * http://biink.com
            * http://mp3.com/davidbeardsley
          • Kraig Grady
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
              David!
              2-3.5 months!

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
                Good news! I'm looking forward to this.

                dB

                  > I would tend to agree but would stretch it to the 12 tone system.
                  > Recently i saw a great improv trio in L.A. ( OPEN CITY they are
                  > great) with
                  > two guitar players/drummer doing amazing stuff , but couldn't help but
                  > feel
                  > that the frets on their instruments stood more in their way of what
                  > they
                  > wanted to do than helped it along, not that that stopped them

                  being an inveterate guitar torturer, removing the frets has always been
                  the first thing I do to them..

                  > We have been working with Jim French (was playing with Even Parker
                  > at
                  > 16, and who Jacki Baard referred to as the greatest sax player he had
                  > played
                  > with) in the reconstruction of Anaphorian woodwinds. (His record on
                  > Metalanguage unfortunately does not capture him). French himself
                  > abandoned
                  > western winds when he realized he could not get the scales and sounds
                  > he
                  > wanted and began building his own. Many of his mouthpieces are being
                  > used by
                  > Pharaoh Sanders. Anyways the size of the saxophone holes makes it
                  > inappropriate for different tunings outside the limits of say a Samir
                  > Srour
                  > who seems to have nailed the neutral thirds needed for Egyptian pop
                  > music.
                  > (look for cassettes, not the cd, only)
                  > Anyway French will be appearing on the upcoming "Nomads of
                  > Anaphoria"
                  > (should i be sending this to the announcement list :) ) with an 3
                  > double
                  > reed instruments made of deer bone with four holes called a Svegl.

                  this is facinating... living in a pretty remote area of Wisconsin a lot
                  of the music discussed is virtually impossible to get ahold of so all
                  that I know of Jim French is reduced to his picture on the cover of an
                  old Interval (or was it 1/1) magazine. A gourd over his head with some
                  sort of pipe sticking out & as I remember not much documentation about
                  whether it was an instrument or simply a mask. There are, of course a
                  number of folks how work with microtonal winds, (of the slide
                  variety)...

                  does the micronation movement have their own version of lollapalooza?

                  mIEKAL

                • Kraig Grady
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                    mIEKAL!
                    Now its not every one who has issues of Interval lying around. You must
                    have some interest in all this stuff yourself so please tell.

                    As far a lollapalooza there are now 3 maybe 4 festivals yearly. oops 5

                    Johnny Reinhardt puts on the american festival of microtonal music for the
                    last maybe 12 years.
                    two others and myself put on microfest here on the west coast. 4 years
                    coming up.

                    John Catler and others have started a world out of tune festival.
                    Sonja Wayne in El Paso has started Microhoot which plans to be nomadic and
                    travel from city to city.
                    Neil Haverstick put one on in Denver which i am not sure the name of.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                      From: Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@...>

                      > mIEKAL!
                      > Now its not every one who has issues of Interval lying around. You
                      must
                      > have some interest in all this stuff yourself so please tell.
                      >
                      > As far a lollapalooza there are now 3 maybe 4 festivals yearly. oops 5
                      >
                      > Johnny Reinhardt puts on the american festival of microtonal music for the
                      > last maybe 12 years.

                      More like 20+!

                      http://microtones.com/woot
                      http://microtones.com/

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                        David!
                        Stand corrected, how time flies when you have you head in the cracks.
                        also added a t to Reinhard that didn't belong.
                        BTW are you one of the WOOT producers?

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
                          From: Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@...>

                          > David!
                          > Stand corrected, how time flies when you have you head in the cracks.
                          > also added a t to Reinhard that didn't belong.
                          > BTW are you one of the WOOT producers?

                          Kind of, but it's really Jon's festival.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 6, 2001
                            Ive been working with a notion called hand-print intonation with gourd
                            saxophones. That is I get a gourd, put a mouthpiece on it & then get
                            comfortable holding that particular gourd in some way that reflects the
                            shapes of the gourd. I then make holes in the places that my fingers
                            have settled upon. sort of neaderthal harmonic theory. A few of my
                            music projects can be found at:

                            RADIO CATERPILLAR

                            http://cla.umn.edu/joglars/radio_caterpillar/index.html

                            pictures of a few instruments at:

                            http://net22.com/qazingulaza/inventedinstruments.html

                            radio caterpillar is also the name of my email radio station, but I
                            think it is having some downtime right now.

                            mIEKAL

                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 6, 2001
                              mIEKAL aND!
                              Really would like to see/hear more!

                              When Jim was making an instrument to match on of my retuned vibraphones,
                              the first thing he did is but his fingers down on the tube and said this is
                              where the holes were going to be, weather i liked it or not :)
                              From here, it was a matter of having a set of drill bits of graduated
                              width and we proceeded up until we got the pitches we could. When tuning we
                              also had him play evenly without seeing the tuner so he wouldn't adjust to
                              it. you probably have noticed that the smaller the hole the more control you
                              can have over the tuning!