Re: [thewire] Digest Number 1319

  • Nirav Soni
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2001
      There is currently a wonderful photography/film exhibition at the Dublin
      Museum of Modern Art by an Iranian artist whose name escapes me. There is a
      particularly fine film piece, with two projections onto facing walls - one
      of a male singer in a male-only concert hall, and the other features Deyhim
      (wearing a black burka) singing to rows of empty seats. It's very powerful,
      not least because the vocal performance is astounding.

      That would be Shirin Neshat, of whom a lot is being said lately.
      http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/fall2001/reports/turbulent.html is an essay
      on that piece by filmmaker Atom Egoyan.

      Nirav
      --
      AIM: Icefactory37
      "Duration is to the consciousness as light is to the eye" - Bill Viola
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2001
        --- In thewire@y..., "Nirav Soni" <nirav@i...> wrote:
        > There is currently a wonderful photography/film exhibition at the
        Dublin
        > Museum of Modern Art by an Iranian artist whose name escapes me.
        There is a
        > particularly fine film piece, with two projections onto facing
        walls - one
        > of a male singer in a male-only concert hall, and the other
        features Deyhim
        > (wearing a black burka) singing to rows of empty seats. It's very
        powerful,
        > not least because the vocal performance is astounding.

        interesting to see that there's somebody else onlist living in
        ireland. or at least thats what i assume -just chyecked to see if it
        was Nirav. the message looked like it might be the 2nd part-answer so
        i can't tell.
        just the fact that Dublin is being discussed -didn't realise there
        was a museum of modern art. i guess theres bound to be, though i
        can't place it. where is it?