Psychedelic Collage

  • Vincent Bergeron
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
      It's done! It started off as an idea like that, but the end result is quiet
      stunning i think! I took mostly really obscure samples. garage rock, sci-fi,
      novelty items, built up rock-opera with samples, arty rock, noise rock (no
      Velvet, Stooges, MC5... in there). 18:23 is the final time. Here's a little
      description i made...

      Tribute to psychedelic rock. The 60's is the most important decade in
      pop and rock music for the 20th century. This psychedelic collage (late
      sixties,
      some moments of 1960-1965) try to expose underground moments of brilliance
      that
      almost no one have heard. The collage contain 159 samples from 62 sources
      and
      never follows more than two samples from the same source (rarely the samples
      are
      played at the same time). Intented to be pure fun for me and little interest
      for the
      others, the collage slowly became a musical entity on its own and probably
      my
      biggest realisation. The whole thing start off like garage rock with a
      cheesy feel,
      the vision of the 60's everybody know. I tried to make that part as funny as
      possible
      influenced by Beck "Odeley". After, it evoke sci-fi roots that nobody knows,
      but
      everybody have heard (humor is still up there at start). Slowly, the collage
      get
      into weirdness landscapes, things that were suggested more than heard in the
      60's.
      Then, it start the rock-opera (yep, remember the Who "Tommy") inspired by
      the
      funniest piece i ever heard (Frank Zappa "Brown Shoes Don't Make It"). The
      opera
      skip music styles every couple of seconds, but always follow the story of
      two
      persons having similar relationship problems (with themselfs and with the
      others)
      that fall in love then recreate the same patterns of autodestruction. This
      autodestruction is fully expressed in the following part which highly
      suggest
      that the late 60's explored all arty, experimental rock. The finale is very
      melodic,
      not unlike DJ Shadow moody music who understand the power of the 60's really
      much! Now, that description sure sound pretentious, but believe me it's pure
      entertainment, fun piece! Enjoy!

      Ogg File (link on the page to download the player ; mp3 that take less
      space, same quality, free source)...
      http://www.altmuziq.cjb.net/compos.htm

      Also, here's some gems i discovered with that work...

      Apple "Otherside" 1968 - The rest of the album is quiet terrible, but this
      song sound like The Cure! I don't know what the hell happen when they wrote
      this one!

      Luv'd Ones "Up Down Sue" - Girls groups meet garage!

      west coast pop art experimental band "Will you walk with me" - As good as
      the best Pink Floyd ballads.

      arzachel - queen st. gang - The whole album is interesting, a more dissonant
      Soft Machine, but this track sound like Trip-hop music! Some glorious bass
      and keyboard playing.

      Chocolate Watchband - Why this band made so many covers? Their material was
      quiet brilliant sometimes!

      Curt Boettcher - astral cowboy - Perfect, sad, reverb drenched melancolic
      pop from someome who usually make much more uptempo stuff with Sagitarius
      and Millennium.

      faine jade - Cold Winter Sun - Imagine Syd Barret with the introspective,
      laidback third VU sound. It's a shame his music is so hard to find.

      Joe byrd and the field hippies - you can't ever come down - The main guy
      under United States Of America which released one of the best 60's records
      period. This album is quiet terrible, but this song rule like almost
      everything on the United States Of America. Unique moody psychedelic with
      electronic explorations.

      lollipop shoppe - you must be a witch - Punk music, nothing else. Don't even
      sound like 60's!

      Music Emporium - Velvet Sunsets - Winds Have Changed - two perfect songs
      with quiet amazing guitar-keyboard interplay and almost religious singing.
      Remind of the moody United States Of America slow tracks.

      -------Vincent Bergeron-------
      vincent.bergeron2@...
      ------------------------------
      http://www.altmuziq.cjb.net
      http://www.mp3.com/Vincent
      http://www.mp3.com/emotionallandscapes
      http://vincentbergeron.cjb.net/index.htm
    • Stevo
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
        --- In thewire@y..., "Vincent Bergeron" <vincent.bergeron2@v...>
        wrote:
        > It's done! It started off as an idea like that, but the end result
        is quiet
        > stunning i think! I took mostly really obscure samples. garage
        rock, sci-fi,
        > novelty items, built up rock-opera with samples, arty rock, noise
        rock (no
        > Velvet, Stooges, MC5... in there).

        wot no MC5? just reminds me anyway -does anybody know anything re
        the state of True Testimonial? Haven't heard an update in ages beyong
        my friend having a contact who was aware of the music/footage being
        mixed in the Camden MTV studios. dying to see that -plus wasn't there
        an MC5 book due by Ben Thompson -the guy who did the interviews over
        at Perfect Sound Forever?

        > Also, here's some gems i discovered with that work...
        >
        > Apple "Otherside" 1968 - The rest of the album is quiet terrible,
        but this
        > song sound like The Cure! I don't know what the hell happen when
        they wrote
        > this one!

        yeah have to say that lp was a heavy let down I don't think it was
        quite that execrable though. I think there's a couple of good tracks
        there, but the pop nature of the lp didn't get me too great.
        Is Buffalo Billy can on there too -some good guitar stuff there.

        > Luv'd Ones "Up Down Sue" - Girls groups meet garage!

        I thought Luv'd Ones were Australian All-Male. Still not that obscure
        a name so probably more than one band by the name. Weirdly Chocolate
        Watchband was the name of a band on either side of the Atlantic . I
        would have thought Aguilar's crew would be too well known
        > Chocolate Watchband - Why this band made so many covers? Their
        material was
        > quiet brilliant sometimes!
        band also thought it was being ripped off by the Rolling Stones.
        I'm not sure what original stuff was band written. one of the best
        covers of Baby Blue I've ever heard. Theres this big thing thats made
        out of their strange sense of timing. Nobody hits at the same time,
        everybody plays around the beat -some might think that sloppy it
        certainly makes it individual.

        > west coast pop art experimental band "Will you walk with me" - As
        good as
        > the best Pink Floyd ballads.

        Still trying to work out what's essential by this group.
        I hear the first Reprise Lp is supposed to be good -anything else?

        > arzachel - queen st. gang - The whole album is interesting, a more
        dissonant
        > Soft Machine, but this track sound like Trip-hop music! Some
        glorious bass
        > and keyboard playing.

        yeah -possible Soft Machine connection through Hillage appearing in
        Dave Allen's Gong -Allen having been on the early Softs stuff before
        his visa messed up. I think that lp is dashed great, I'll have to
        recheck it for trip-hop hood though. Most notable stuff for me is
        that its got real West coast level freakouit interplay -don't know
        how frequent that is in a London -or Southern provinces band.
        > faine jade - Cold Winter Sun - Imagine Syd Barret with the
        introspective,
        > laidback third VU sound. It's a shame his music is so hard to find.
        I'll have to dig that cd out, Haven't heard it in quite a while.

        > Joe byrd and the field hippies - you can't ever come down - The
        main guy
        > under United States Of America which released one of the best 60's
        records
        > period. This album is quiet terrible, but this song rule like almost
        > everything on the United States Of America. Unique moody
        psychedelic with
        > electronic explorations.

        Thats a major shame. After the USA lp I hoped for greatness here -so
        you obviously wouldn't reccommend it? Thats not just going to be down
        to personal taste though is it?

        > lollipop shoppe - you must be a witch - Punk music, nothing else.
        Don't even
        > sound like 60's!

        This is the guiy who went from the Weeds -mid 60s +I thinbk name
        changed to this because of record label to currently playing with
        Dead Moon. I've still got to hear this but I hear its heavily
        reccomended
        Stevo
        Np Psychedelic furs
      • Vincent Bergeron
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
          > It's done! It started off as an idea like that, but the end result
          is quiet
          > stunning i think! I took mostly really obscure samples. garage
          rock, sci-fi,
          > novelty items, built up rock-opera with samples, arty rock, noise
          rock (no
          > Velvet, Stooges, MC5... in there).

          >wot no MC5?

          No, i used garage rock, arty rock stuff, but no big names in the mix (except for Serge Gainsbourg in the previous part).

          > Joe byrd and the field hippies - you can't ever come down - The
          main guy
          > under United States Of America which released one of the best 60's
          records
          > period. This album is quiet terrible, but this song rule like almost
          > everything on the United States Of America. Unique moody
          psychedelic with
          > electronic explorations.

          >Thats a major shame. After the USA lp I hoped for greatness >here -so
          >you obviously wouldn't reccommend it? Thats not just going to >be down
          >to personal taste though is it?

          Well, it's quiet not like the the USA lp. Rare electronic explorations, gospel music, no wonderful introspective ballads, but a lot of bad psychedelic like "I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife For You..." on USA lp.

          > lollipop shoppe - you must be a witch - Punk music, nothing else.
          Don't even
          > sound like 60's!

          >This is the guiy who went from the Weeds -mid 60s +I thinbk >name
          >changed to this because of record label to currently playing >with
          >Dead Moon. I've still got to hear this but I hear its heavily
          >reccomended

          He also came back with a punk band in the 70's, the rats i think.

          Stevo
          Np Psychedelic furs

          -------Vincent Bergeron-------
          vincent.bergeron2@...