Re: Digest Number 197

  • Oeivind Idsoe
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 1999
      Mark Coyle wrote:

      > >Is this list dead as a duck or what? I think I've received two mails in the
      > >last 10 days.
      >
      > I think many people are scared to post as everything of attempted depth is
      > somewhat pulled part.

      Hmmm...I think there are moments when things should be taken apart as long as
      this deconstruction is well founded and kept within the limits of polite
      person-to-person behaviour.

      It reminds me of Norwegian philosopher Arne Naess who 'thrived' on serious
      confrontations and found them very enjoyable -- he often did everything he could
      to get some kind of argument (in the positive sense of the word) going, and I
      think this is a very productive point of view (unless you are argueing for
      argueing's sake, which is not Naess' point, but that goes without saying). If
      you say something you should be able to discuss/defend it, and not least: change
      positions if you are convinced by other arguments (very idealistic and naive,
      perhaps, but still a positive starting point). You are all free to strike me
      dead if you don't agree.

      (we probably agree anyways, because I've seen some arguments turn ugly quite
      fast and I don't condone hostile behaviour. But taking something apart as long
      as it's (de)constructive and productive: yes, please.)

      > Mark

      /�ivind/