Re: UK's Government loves Iraq crisis

  • JK
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 1998
      ---Steven Taylor <kung.funk@...> wrote:

      > Im fed up of the US presuming
      > everyone else in the world gives a fuck about their
      > petty little problems.

      Well, your Prime Minister Tony Blair certainly cares.
      No doubt his people had a little chat with the USA
      before stepping out to the podium. What about his
      "puppet on the strings" act about an hour before
      Clinton's speech? Both U.S. and British forces sent
      missiles, so it's your country's problem, too.
    • Steven Taylor
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 17, 1998
        > >Well, your Prime Minister Tony Blair certainly cares.
        > >No doubt his people had a little chat with the USA
        > >before stepping out to the podium. What about his
        > >"puppet on the strings" act about an hour before
        > >Clinton's speech? Both U.S. and British forces sent
        > >missiles, so it's your country's problem, too.
        >
        > fair point, our government (labour or conservative)
        > have continually acted as americas favorite glove
        > puppet for ages.......
        >
        > Meanwhile myself & the people around me react
        > with horror when we act this way. A similar thing
        > happened in the Falklands, politics is transparently
        > about lying and fucking people over for a living.

        We act this way? We? as Bill Hicks put it :

        'My parents fucked here, that's all'

        I was actually making a reference to the US publics inane fascination
        with the Monica Lewinksy episode, and the presumption that everyone
        outside the US actually gives a Fuck. (although granted the impeachment
        has been tied in closely with the Iraq crisis in the past few days). Its
        highlights
        perfectly the whole 'CNN - world news' attitude... i.e. 95% of its lineup
        consists of stories taking place in the US, or directly involving the US. God
        knows the UK is full of equally small-minded people, but broadcasting this
        shortcoming to the world and packaging it as Journalism is another thing...
        there's a piece of footage ive seen countless times of US high school kids
        in a classroom, confronted with a Globe and being asked to point out different

        countries... Russia, China, Iraq etc... its hilarious for a while. But not
        for long.
      • Kevin Hankey
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 18, 1998

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 18, 1998
            I think youre right.

            > you shouldn't watch so much television, it's getting you down
            >
            > all the best
            > Patrick
            > >
            > >I was actually making a reference to the US publics inane fascination
            > >with the Monica Lewinksy episode, and the presumption that everyone
            > >outside the US actually gives a Fuck. (although granted the impeachment
            > >has been tied in closely with the Iraq crisis in the past few days). Its
            > >highlights
            > >perfectly the whole 'CNN - world news' attitude... i.e. 95% of its lineup
            > >consists of stories taking place in the US, or directly involving the US. God
            > >knows the UK is full of equally small-minded people, but broadcasting this
            > >shortcoming to the world and packaging it as Journalism is another thing...
            > >there's a piece of footage ive seen countless times of US high school kids
            > >in a classroom, confronted with a Globe and being asked to point out different
            > >
            > >countries... Russia, China, Iraq etc... its hilarious for a while. But not
            > >for long.

            > >select the User Center link from the menu bar on the left.
            > >

            > MacArdles
            > 1811 Cedar St
            > Berkeley, CA 94703
            > (510) 540 1943

            Steve
            --------------------------------------
            Horse Opera Webpage :-
            http://freespace.virgin.net/kung.funk/
            --------------------------------------
            ...new LP/CD '3 cornered Room' out now
            on planet mu records, mp3s on website.
            --------------------------------------
          • Jon Charles Newman
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 1998
              ---Steven Taylor <kung.funk@...> wrote:
              (snip)
              > I was actually making a reference to the US publics inane fascination
              > with the Monica Lewinksy episode, and the presumption that everyone
              > outside the US actually gives a Fuck.

              How about the presumption that the American public even gives a fuck?

              I've been surprised at how many people have thought all along that the
              "scandal" is actually a diversionary tactic. Hey, and now Clinton
              (with the help of Blair, et al) is killing people to create a
              diversion from the diversion!

              > 'My parents fucked here, that's all'

              Crude, but totally accurate for me as well.

              And now, in a lame attempt to get music in here somehow, I'll relate
              this: I remember being at a protest against the Gulf War, and when
              some cheesy pseudo-folk singer got up with an acoustic guitar to sing
              some "deeply moving anti-war song," my friend turned to me and said,
              "Why does our side always have the shitty music?"

              best to all
              Jon

              ==
              Jon Charles Newman
              Silence Is Golden
              P.O. Box 570432
              Tarzana, California 91357-0432
              "records for people who hate music"

              http://members.tripod.com/~EssenDreck/index.html
            • Jon Charles Newman
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 18, 1998
                (sorry for the repeat, the mail program fucked up)

                ---Steven Taylor <kung.funk@...> wrote:
                (snip)
                > I was actually making a reference to the US publics inane fascination
                > with the Monica Lewinksy episode, and the presumption that everyone
                > outside the US actually gives a Fuck.

                How about the presumption that the American public even gives a fuck?

                I've been surprised at how many people have thought all along that the
                "scandal" is actually a diversionary tactic. Hey, and now Clinton
                (with the help of Blair, et al) is killing people to create a
                diversion from the diversion!

                > 'My parents fucked here, that's all'

                Crude, but totally accurate for me as well.

                And now, in a lame attempt to get music in here somehow, I'll relate
                this: I remember being at a protest against the Gulf War, and when
                some cheesy pseudo-folk singer got up with an acoustic guitar to sing
                some "deeply moving anti-war song," my friend turned to me and said,
                "Why does our side always have the shitty music?"

                best to all
                Jon

                ==
                Jon Charles Newman
                Silence Is Golden
                P.O. Box 570432
                Tarzana, California 91357-0432
                "records for people who hate music"

                http://members.tripod.com/~EssenDreck/index.html
              • MacArdle
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 19, 1998
                  you shouldn't watch so much television, it's getting you down

                  all the best
                  Patrick

                  >I was actually making a reference to the US publics inane fascination
                  >with the Monica Lewinksy episode, and the presumption that everyone
                  >outside the US actually gives a Fuck. (although granted the impeachment
                  >has been tied in closely with the Iraq crisis in the past few days). Its
                  >highlights
                  >perfectly the whole 'CNN - world news' attitude... i.e. 95% of its lineup
                  >consists of stories taking place in the US, or directly involving the US. God
                  >knows the UK is full of equally small-minded people, but broadcasting this
                  >shortcoming to the world and packaging it as Journalism is another thing...
                  >there's a piece of footage ive seen countless times of US high school kids
                  >in a classroom, confronted with a Globe and being asked to point out different
                  >
                  >countries... Russia, China, Iraq etc... its hilarious for a while. But not
                  >for long.

                  MacArdles
                  1811 Cedar St
                  Berkeley, CA 94703
                  (510) 540 1943
                • Oeivind Idsoe
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 23, 1998
                    Jon Charles Newman wrote:

                    > And now, in a lame attempt to get music in here somehow, I'll relate
                    > this: I remember being at a protest against the Gulf War, and when
                    > some cheesy pseudo-folk singer got up with an acoustic guitar to sing
                    > some "deeply moving anti-war song," my friend turned to me and said,
                    > "Why does our side always have the shitty music?"

                    Maybe because idealists care more about the actual goal, which means the
                    music becomes subordinated to the end (as in means to an end) -- a simple
                    slave in Utopia? Guess that's why Plato decided to get rid of most artists
                    for his Republic. ;)

                    You "have" to be a bit of a cynic to make great music, I guess, which means
                    the teleological approach becomes a certain dead end (although I still think
                    We Are The World is a catchy tune). On the other hand, I bet all the
                    pro-Gulf-bombing folks listen to Garth Brooks and Celine Dion. That's what
                    makes them so violent, you know.

                    > Jon

                    /�ivind/