Re:RE: [thewire] More:Stockhausen the reality

  • simonsmith@readingchronicle.co.uk
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2001
      No Helicopter String Quartet though ... I assume that would be a bit of a
      security risk in the current circumstances!

      Subject: RE: [thewire] More:Stockhausen the reality
      Author: paul.steeples@...
      Date: 03/10/2001 15:07

      Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing Gesang der Junglinge at the Barbican,
      even if no-one else is.

      TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

      This email has been scanned for viruses by the MessageLabs SkyScan service.

      For further details, please see
      http://www.gsi.gov.uk/main/gncnotices/gncinformationnotice5_2001.pdf.

      In case of problems, please call your organisations IT helpdesk.

      TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

    • Kurt Hoffman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2001
        >I don't see it as being as
        >reprehensible as a Hollywood film industry which has based large chunks of
        >its output on the representation of thoughtless destruction and death for
        >the last twenty years.

        I just reread the Odyssey, and it's a lurid, sexy spectacle of
        gushing bloodshed and death from cover to cover -- war, accidents,
        treachery, carnivorous monsters, vengence...much as I detest
        Hollywood products for their stupidity, "representation of
        thoughtless destruction and death" is an ancient and seemingly
        inevitable feature of storytelling, Hollywood or no Hollywood.

        And, just as reading the Odyssey doesn't make me a sword-wielding,
        breast puncturing, sheep-herd-raiding warrior, watching Die Hard II
        doesn't make most people drive planes into buildings. Even my dog
        knows the difference between a real fight and a pretend "play" fight.

        > As people have pointed out before, one aim of art is
        >to transcend everyday reality, and the events of 11 September certainly did
        >that.

        yet it's crucial to uphold the difference between art and a mass
        extermination of life. blurring the distinction spares us the somber
        task of empathy for the victims.

        kurt