RE: [thewire] Re: Luc Ferrari (and Gerard Grisey)

  • Steeples Paul (Mr PW)
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
      Thanks for the recommendations so far. Just for the record, the Grisey piece
      I've heard is "Partiels", which was played at a late-night Prom last year
      and appeared to be one of his spectral compositions, in that it dealt with
      slowly shifting tissues of sound. The two Ferrari pieces were "Presque Rien
      No.4 - La Remontee du Village" (a tape piece of ambient sounds) and "Les
      Emois d'Aphrodite" (a piece for ensemble with a supposedly erotic text,
      which I couldn't really hear) at the wonderful Other Minds festival in San
      Francisco back in 1999. I'll certainly follow up all your suggestions (or
      all the ones I can actually get hold of).

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
        "Unheimlich Schon" amazes me because it is like a minimalist sound narrative
        whose multiple ambiguity contains riches for me. every time i hear it, i can
        imagine yet another narrative built around the simple oscillation between a
        woman;s voice whispering 'unheimlich schon' and a man's breathing (along with
        small coughs, clearings of the throat, etc.'.
        By the way, this was released in a series from Metamkine entitled "Cinema
        pour L'Oreille": Jim O'rourke's contribution to this series, another 3-incher
        entitled "Rules of Reduction", is one of his best in my opinion. Has anyone
        heard any other pieces from this series? I'm especially interested in getting
        my hands on Michel Chion's piece "Credo Mambo". all i've heard from him so far
        is "La Ronde", and my interest mostly stems from my admiration for his critical
        works (a book on David Lynch and a couple on sound and narrative in film)...

        mandel cabrera

        "Kristopher S. Handley" wrote:

        > >-Vol. 1: Chansons Pour le Corps/Et Si Toute Entiere
        > >Maintenant...(Icebreaker...Supposing Now I Were To...) [Mode] CD
        >
        > Could someone describe/vouch for this recording? Sounds interesting, but
        > the budget is tight, so I thought I'd solicit comment. Something made me
        > think that this was different from much of the (earlier) Ferrari canon.
        >
        > >-Presque Rien [INA GRM] CD (I think this is out of print)
        >
        > IIC, this is freshly back in print (as of about 2 months ago or so), along
        > with the mindblowing LA CRéATION DU MONDE and DE NATURA SONORUM recordings
        > by Bernard Parmegiani (highly, highly recommended concret....behold
        > Parmegiani creating AUtechre in a single short section of SONORUM). I got
        > my copy from my local shop for about $15, which I think is quite a bit
        > cheaper than through the "official" distributor (?) Diffusion Imedia, who
        > were charging about $25 for it.
        >
        > Also, no one mentioned the short piece from the Seventies, "Unheimlich
        > Schön", which was released by Metamkine as a 3"CD. Like/unlike DANSE
        > ORGANIQUE, it seems to amplify some kind of interior life of a young woman,
        > though to me it seems just erotic as the "pornographic" DANSE. (I wonder if
        > this is problematic, i.e. a man putting isolated female
        > pleasure/vulnerability on display, i.e. yawn more of the same, aural
        > equivalent of inequitable full frontal [female] nudity in popular film, or
        > of the apparent dominance of the sound of female pleasure in the sound esign
        > of porn. "Unheimlich" is beautiful and worth checking out, but I'd be
        > curious to know if anyone else might have had a hesitancy about this.)
        >
        > BTW, what is Ferrari's reputation built on? There seems to be a pretty
        > small amoutn of material in print right now, and I could see someone
        > presenting his work as Duchampian "readymade" (the PRESQUE RIEN stuff, at
        > least), but where does he "fit in" to the state of late 20thC music? Why is
        > he important?
        >
        > ------s

      • Kristopher S. Handley
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
          >From: "Manuel V. Cabrera Jr." <mandelc@...>
          > "Unheimlich Schon" amazes me because it is like a minimalist sound
          >narrative
          >whose multiple ambiguity contains riches for me. every time i hear it, i
          >can
          >imagine yet another narrative built around the simple....[snip]

          Very well-put. I listened to PRESQUE RIEN and "Unheimlich" again last
          night, on a very long slow coast into sleep, which might be an ideal state
          for taking these works in. My previous comments might be inevitable for
          this kind of work, i.e. betraying more about me than about the work at hand,
          esp. since it acts like a blank screen for projections of the self. An open
          text!

          BTW, not that it matters terribly, but I made a typo previously:

          > > Like/unlike DANSE
          > > ORGANIQUE, [UNHEIMLICH SHOEN] seems to amplify some kind of interior
          >life of a young woman,
          > > though to me it seems just erotic as the "pornographic" DANSE.

          Of course, I meant "it seems just AS erotic as...". I'm not even sure
          there's any "just" when it comes to the erotic!

          Best,

          ------s

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2002
          • Kristopher S. Handley
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2002
              Sorry, list, but I don't anything at all about the e.mail reproducedbelwo