[thewire] Turkish Music/Ilhan Mimaroglu [was "Music From Portugal"]

  • Ryan Whitehead
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2001
      I'd like to second the request for Turkey ... I remember a couple of issues
      back they had a Global Ear on a Turkish city (Istanbul?) and a reader wrote
      in to inform them that they had overlooked a good deal. Also interested in
      historic pieces: the only thing I've ever seen floating around, other than
      "world" music (much I've which I've enjoyed, but could definitely use
      recommendations there as well), are the "Turkish Psych" reissues of 3 Hur El
      (?). I've never heard them though--should I? Are they solid?

      Though this may not count as Turkish Music, it counts as music by a Turkish
      man: a short while ago I "discovered" Ilhan Mimoroglu. Astounded by the
      "Outstanding Warrants: Electronic Compositions" and "Criminal Record".
      Though I occasionally have to remind myself to "get past' the content of
      some of the paranoid spoken word on Criminal Record ... Let me emphasize
      that I only have a problem with some of the "content" ... it's beautifully
      done, the woman's voice is strong/firm without being harsh (a tinge of
      seductiveness if you imagine it steaming your earlobes). The composition
      integrates the spoken and sung parts very well. And some may even get off on
      paranoia about THE MAN ("Generals manufacturing rotting flesh" type stuff).
      For those curious, Mimoroglu produced a lot of work at the
      Columbia-Princeton Electronic Center (in contact with Ussachevsky and Luenig
      as well as Varese and Wolpe). More connections to Turkishness--worked for a
      while as producer at Atlantic (co-founded by a Turkish man, Ahmet
      Ertegun)where he worked on projects by Sharrock, Mingus, and--in that
      lighting things on fire when no one was listening veing--Freddie Hubbard's
      Sing A Song Of Songmy.

      Ryan Whitehead_Out*

      >From: "Coral Rumsey" <coral@...>
      >To: <thewire@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [thewire] Exploratory Music From Portugal, this month's free CD
      >Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 23:48:28 +0100
      >
      >I had no idea there was so much (music) in it (the country). I bet there's
      >a good few other countries neglected by the Anglophone media-mafia worth
      >hearing a round-up from. Turkey? Denmark? Chile?
      >
      >yours ignorantly

    • Kraig Grady
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2001
        Ryan!

        Kudsi Erguner-Turkish Ney player with a direct line of Ney masters going
        back to the 17th century. I would consider him one of the
        great "intangible treasures" (as the japanese would say) on the planet.

        Ryan Whitehead wrote:

        > I'd like to second the request for Turkey ... I remember a couple of issues
        > back they had a Global Ear on a Turkish city (Istanbul?) and a reader wrote
        > in to inform them that they had overlooked a good deal. Also interested in
        > historic pieces: the only thing I've ever seen floating around, other than
        > "world" music (much I've which I've enjoyed, but could definitely use
        > recommendations there as well), are the "Turkish Psych" reissues of 3 Hur El
        > (?). I've never heard them though--should I? Are they solid?
        >
        > Though this may not count as Turkish Music, it counts as music by a Turkish
        > man: a short while ago I "discovered" Ilhan Mimoroglu. Astounded by the
        > "Outstanding Warrants: Electronic Compositions" and "Criminal Record".
        > Though I occasionally have to remind myself to "get past' the content of
        > some of the paranoid spoken word on Criminal Record ... Let me emphasize
        > that I only have a problem with some of the "content" ... it's beautifully
        > done, the woman's voice is strong/firm without being harsh (a tinge of
        > seductiveness if you imagine it steaming your earlobes). The composition
        > integrates the spoken and sung parts very well. And some may even get off on
        > paranoia about THE MAN ("Generals manufacturing rotting flesh" type stuff).
        > For those curious, Mimoroglu produced a lot of work at the
        > Columbia-Princeton Electronic Center (in contact with Ussachevsky and Luenig
        > as well as Varese and Wolpe). More connections to Turkishness--worked for a
        > while as producer at Atlantic (co-founded by a Turkish man, Ahmet
        > Ertegun)where he worked on projects by Sharrock, Mingus, and--in that
        > lighting things on fire when no one was listening veing--Freddie Hubbard's
        > Sing A Song Of Songmy.
        >
        > Ryan Whitehead_Out*
        >
        > >From: "Coral Rumsey" <coral@...>
        > >To: <thewire@yahoogroups.com>
        > >Subject: [thewire] Exploratory Music From Portugal, this month's free CD
        > >Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 23:48:28 +0100
        > >
        > >I had no idea there was so much (music) in it (the country). I bet there's
        > >a good few other countries neglected by the Anglophone media-mafia worth
        > >hearing a round-up from. Turkey? Denmark? Chile?
        > >
        > >yours ignorantly

        -- Kraig Grady
        North American Embassy of Anaphoria island
        http://www.anaphoria.com

        The Wandering Medicine Show
        Wed. 8-9 KXLU 88.9 fm
      • mIEKAL aND
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2001
          what about contemporary turkish experimental, whose making the
          interesting work...?

          mIEKAL

          I listen to sertab erener on a regular, poppy-folky in the sezen aksu
          vein. & goran bregovic, who isnt turkish, but I believe uses turkish
          musicians quite often. his cd (whose name I
          dont know, Im sure others out there do) of brass band melodies played at
          punk tempos needs a number of listenings just to take it all in.