No.178 : Q re Neubauten solo recordings

  • solutions
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 1998
      DEAR KIND PEOPLES:

      as long as the subject came up:

      anyone out there care to comment on the solo recording projects released by
      various Neubauten members in the past 5-10 years?

      I'm more interested in moody sounds made by pieces of metal being struck,
      hit, and strummed, and somewhat less interested in Teutonic rage per se.

      Thanks much,
      bombs away,

      Kilroy
    • Taylor McLaren
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 1998
        GNOP! Kilroy wrote:
        >anyone out there care to comment on the solo recording projects released by
        >various Neubauten members in the past 5-10 years?
        While I can't comment on many of them, I've been inclined to pick up a
        handful of FM Einheit's almost-solo outings during the past couple of
        years, and they're surprisingly short in the banging-on-metal bit.
        _Merry Christmas_, a duet with Caspar Brotzmann, is basically a long
        disc-sander-and-tablesaw roarfest that reminds me an awful lot of the
        sounds from _Patienten O.T._ (think "Wasserturm" with the addition of power
        tools and feedback)... it isn't exactly everyday listening material, but
        after two years, I still haven't been able to convince myself to sell it.
        Of the lot that I've heard, it's probably the easiest of the bunch to
        compare with early Neubauten. (I've got it on right now, actually, and the
        scrap metal bit takes over for a while towards the end... it's more
        Unruh-style pushing-pots-around-with-a-lead-pipe clattering that rhythmic
        pounding, though, and there's a lovely treated bass warbling along over top
        of it.)
        _Deutsch Krieger_ is another duet, this one with Andreas Ammer, and is
        apparently a radio play of some sort that draws parallels between Kaiser
        Wilhelm, Adolf Hitler, and Ulrike Meinhof. Very slow, very quiet, and
        subtly menacing... also very rarely in the CD player, probably because I
        don't speak German and consequently get very little out of the radio and
        newsreel snippets that form the bulk of the sampling library upon which the
        composition is based. If you're into the sounds of old victrola recordings
        gradually wearing away under a blunted needle, it might be worth checking
        out... the mail-order place that I ordered my copy from last year billed it
        as "quasi-Nazi cabaret-techno". I'm not sure.
        _Sensation Death_ (not spelled that way) is the most uncharacteristic of
        the bunch, mainly because you could almost dance to some of it. Metronomic
        clicking, Bee-Gees-gone-synthpunk falsetto vocals, and samples from '60s TV
        shows (Batman, Mission: Impossible, etc.) round out the soundtrack to an
        "interactive dance program" that involved letting the audience control
        dancers and gymnasts who were suspended from the ceiling by steel cables at
        some point... the "plot" of the show, such as it was, apparently involved a
        gameshow that isn't terribly different from the idea behind Rollerball.
        It's very, very, very odd, but strangely listenable.
        If you're interested, I'm fairly sure that there are a couple of brief
        RealAudio samples of the last two titles (as well as _Radio Inferno_ and
        the more recent _Odysseus 7_) at the Invisible Web site
        (http://www.invisiblerecords.com); Gnat was supposed to have updated the
        Einheit section a month or two ago.

        Also, if anybody just *happens* to have a copy of Meret Becker's Ego
        release, _Noctambule_, lying around and they're really keen to get rid of
        it, let me know... I've been half-heartedly looking for a copy for a while,
        and digging through my tiny pile of Einheit albums has me curious about how
        it turned out once again.

        -me