borbetomagus

  • Daniel DiMaggio
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27, 2001
      I am hopefully going to get to interview all three members of the
      group Borbetomagus in the near future. Anybody have ideas for
      questions?
    • neil@ncampbell.fsworld.co.uk
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 29, 2001
        --- In thewire@y..., Daniel DiMaggio <aggio@b...> wrote:
        > I am hopefully going to get to interview all three members
        of the
        > group Borbetomagus in the near future. Anybody have ideas for
        > questions?

        They're a great band, and as nice a bunch as you'd want to meet. We
        had a fun time when they came over to the UK a couple ofyears ago.
        Miller arrived at the station in a wheelchair after getting drunk +
        falling over in Glasgow the previous night. They were unstoppable +
        life-affirming, musically + character-wise, even though their venue
        fucked them up + put them on in a tiny pool backroom of the pub.
        Scared the shit out of the regular punters + bar management.
        So...
        Buy them all a beer or eight first.
        Get Donald Miller to namedrop shamelessly (mention Ligeti for a laff).
        Ask them why they think they're still pretty marginal + ignored
        (playing in pub backroom for instance), whereas limp contemporaries
        of theirs (like zorn) are everywhere.
        Maybe talk about their increased use of effects + amplification on
        the saxes over the years?
        Oh, I don't know, they're pretty straight-talking down-to-earth guys,
        and they like to talk too.
        Good luck!
        Neil
      • mIEKAL aND
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 29, 2001
          just saw zorn last spring & I couldnt agree more. it was pretty
          disappointing to see him play fairly conventional klezmer riffs & then
          throw in a signature zorn hornfreakout & then return back to the head.
          I would have hoped for a lot more interweaving of genres. Joey Baron
          was worth the price of the ticket, regardless.

          mIEKAL

          as for boretomagus questions, Ive always wondered if they came up with
          the idea of putting the 2 bells of the saxes together of if they took
          their cue from previous improvisors. & Ive always heard that the
          difference tones that are produced by such an effect are not rendered on
          recordings but can only be experienced in a live setting. is this true?

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2001
            This Friday, Oct. 5, me and my radio partner will be doing a
            tribute show to the group Borbetomagus. It will feature interveiws from
            members Donald Miller and Don Dietrich, and selections from albums.
            It's 6-10 PM, East Coast US time, so if you're in the New Jersey area
            (unlikely), tune into 103.3 FM, WPRB. It can also be heard online at
            www.wprb.com.
            It's in honor of the group's first NY performance in a few months;
            October 13 at Tonic, as part of the No Music Festival.

            daniel