My Favourite Records This Year

  • John
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 1998
      OK everyone, I haven't bought an enormous amount of stuff this year.
      I'd like to buy more but cos of budget shortfalls, etc. I can't.
      Here, though, is what I rated this year. In no particular order.

      Pluramon, 'Render Bandits'
      Add N to X, 'On the Wires of Our Nerves'
      Tortoise, 'TNT'
      Gas, 'Zauberberg'
      Fridge, 'Semaphore'
      Oval, 'Dok'
      Tone Rec, 'Pholcus'
      Farmers Manual, 'Explorers_We' (every list is going to contain
      this one, just about, I would think)
      Mercury Rev, 'Deserter's Songs'
      Ui, 'Lifelike'
      Slicker, 'Confidence in Duber'
      Calexico, 'The Black Light'
      Frontier, '4'
      Pole, 'CD1'
      Pan American, 'S/T'
      RST, 'R136a'
      A Minor Forest, 'Inindependence'

      There's a few other things I've doubtless forgotten but that's what
      springs to mind initially.

      JOHN
    • JonAbbey2@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 22, 1998
        In a message dated 11/22/98 6:32:39 AM, W.J.Gibson@... wrote:

        <<Farmers Manual, 'Explorers_We' (every list is going to contain
        this one, just about, I would think)>>

        certainly not mine. I thought this was pretty much just aimless noodling, and
        very disappointing compared to their earlier releases. records in this general
        style from 1998 that I preferred are Don't Dolby, Pomassl, Radian, and 1/Tau,
        just to name a few.

        Jon
      • OLDSCHREC@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 22, 1998
          Mercury Rev "Deserter's Songs"
          Belle & Sebastian "The Boy With THe Arab Strap"
          No Neck Blues Band "Letters From The Serth"
          Stars Of The Lid "Per Aspera Ad Astra"
          Burger/Ink "Las Vegas"
          Arthur Doyle "Alabama Feeling" (reissue)
          Sun Ra & His Intergalactic Research Arkestra "Black Myth"/"Out In Space"
          Sun City Girls "Dulce" (soundtrack)
          Don Cherry "The Sonet Recordings" (reissue)

          Pete Gianakopoulos
        • DeeDee
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 22, 1998
            Voila, my list:

            V.A.: Tulpas
            Rune Lindblad: Object 2
            Fennesz: Plays (7")
            Jim O�Rourke: Please Note Our Faliure
            Gastr Del Sol: Camoufleur
            Jos Smolders: Dub Zap 1.0 Standard Edition
            Intervene: Flotation Toy Warning
            Michel Redolfi: Detours
            Schlammpeiziger: Spacerockmountainrutschquartier
            Notwist: Shrink
            Mouse On Mars:Instrumentals
            John Coltrane: The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings
            Autechre:5
            Plastikman: Consumed
            Radian:s/t
            C: Pop Concrete

            Forgive me if some are not 1998 releases.

            Cheers,
            DeeDee
          • scooper@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 22, 1998
              ><<Farmers Manual, 'Explorers_We' (every list is going to contain
              >this one, just about, I would think)>>
              >
              >certainly not mine. I thought this was pretty much just aimless noodling, and
              >very disappointing compared to their earlier releases. records in this general
              >style from 1998 that I preferred are Don't Dolby...
              ^^^^^ ^^^^^

              hmm, funny. i was massively looking forward to this and i ended up
              consigning it to the same bin you above consigned _explorers_ (i have no
              opinion of that one, tho). different strokes, i guess...

              sc

              onnow: tanzmuzik : a version city episode remixes (sublime)
            • mltsnt
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 22, 1998
                At 02:40 PM 11/22/98 -0800, you wrote:

                >Fennesz: Plays (7")

                is this even out yet?? i've been trying to get a hold of it, but no one
                seems to have it in stock... has anyone heard his new mini CD on Tanz
                Hotel, i saw it in the mego mailout?

                anyway, my list::

                farmers manual: 'explorers we' (or)
                mouse on mars: 'glam' (sonig)
                suetsu & underwood: 'find the hits & use them' 2xCD (lucky kitchen)
                holosud: fijnewas afpompen (a-musik)
                third eye foundation: you guys kill me (domino)
                third eye foundation & v/vm split (fat cat)
                mos def & talib kweli are blackstar (Rawkus)
                squarepusher: music is rotted one note (warp)
                boards of canada: music has the right to children (warp/skam)
                don't dolby: 05 (gefriem)
                phthalocyanine: 'navy warships' (phthalo)
                siah & yeshua da po ED ep (fondle 'em)
                i think these 2 came out last year, but i didn't get em until this one.
                the three equinox coil singles so far (eskaton)
                nurse with wound: second pirate session (united daries)
                saul williams: elohim 12" (ninja tune/big dada)
                v/a: highways over gardens (carpet bomb)
                pluramon: render bandits (mille plateux)
                noto: kerne (plate lunch)
                aceyalone: a book of human language (project blowed)
                outkast: aquemeni (some major)
                dj faust: man, or myth? (bomb)

                overall really weak year for the idm i usually love so much, skam goes
                bland, bad autechre and jega albums, a so-so mas return. the only good
                stuff are the few that push the barriers- squarepusher, v/vm, mom, and
                carpet bomb. boc gets honarary mention for being soo lush, and actually
                putting an interesting twist on ae rip off.. great year for way out bizzare
                stuff (noto, fm, suetsu & underwood, etc.) and hip hop (aceyalone could be
                the lyrically best album of the decade, saul williams is the most emotional
                mc in years, blackstar and outkast can maintain intelligence, integrity and
                underground credability, yet still appeal to the mass pop consumers,
                si&yesh made up for that afwul tribe attempt) holosud and phthalocyanine
                make carnival music all the more fun.

                and i didn't get so much that i've wanted yet- recent phthalo, raster,
                diskono, any of the recent turtablism stuff, etc...

                yours,,
                mlt/ostian_mele
              • Danny Gromfin
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 22, 1998
                  I tried to order the Fennesz 7" directly from Mego and there are already
                  sold out.

                  :is this even out yet?? i've been trying to get a hold of it, but no one
                  :seems to have it in stock... has anyone heard his new mini CD on Tanz
                  :Hotel, i saw it in the mego mailout?
                  :
                  :anyway, my list::
                  :
[...]
                  :To unsubscribe from this mailing list, or to change your subscription
                  :to digest, go to the ONElist web site, at http://www.onelist.com and
                  :select the User Center link from the menu bar on the left.
                  :