Feldman-Ustvolskaya

  • Дмитрий Ухов
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2001
      Ustvolskaya versus Feldman - fire and ice - this is where the opposites
      meet.
      I also subscribe under the "Rothko Chapel" - it's the greatest , but the
      whole
      body of Morton Feldman's work is of equal importance.
      I was "initiated" by the shorter pieces ("Chorus & Instruments" and
      "Christian Wolf in Cambridge") back in 1970(they were on"Columbia/Odissey").
      "Durations" is for Ligeti fans. On the contrary, "For Philip Guston" is
      one of the best ambient works. Be sure to have a changer in your CD player,
      since the work lasts more than 3 hours( 4 CDs on Hat Art).
      For Ustvolskaya -again, look through the Hat Art catalogue . But beware of
      the earlier works written under the Shostakovitch influense and Symphony #3
      (as a member of a children's choir I took part in the premiere performance
      of it - the composer attempted to write a "lucid" work ). The Big Duo for
      cello and piano (mid 50s) is for the beginners. But -mind it! - Ustvolskaya
      is literally "arresting" live! Wait until a Russian pianist Alexei
      Lyubimov plays one of her sonatas ( both for solo piano and for chamber
      ensembles) in your neighbourhood.
    • greg curtis
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2001
        two can't miss shows for those of you in the new york
        vicinity

        Special Upcoming Free Performance:

        The Culture Project presents

        THE INDEPENDENT FESTIVAL OF
        DOWNTOWN CULTURE

        AT THE NAUMBURG BAND SHELL, CENTRAL PARK

        "MODERN MUSIC EXPERIMENTALISM"

        Thursday, August 16th, 2001

        8:00pm ELLIOT SHARP & ORCHESTRA CARBON
        7:00pm REBECCA MOORE & PREVENTION OF BLINDNESS
        6:00pm VISION INTO ART performing works of Steven
        Reich, George Crumb, and others
        Host: Ben Robinson, "The Illusion Genius"

        Friday, August 17th, 2001

        8:00pm CHRISTIAN MARCLAY'S djTRIO with DJ OLIVE &
        TOSHIO KAJIWARA
        7:00pm CALLA
        6:30pm RINDE ECKERT
        6:00pm VISION INTO ART performing works of Steve
        Reich, George Crumb,and others
        Host: Ben Robinson, "The Illusion Genius"

        The Naumburg Band Shell, Central Park
        Just West of Rumsey Playfield
        72nd Street, Mid-Park

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/