Re: [thewire] Ligeti Revisited

  • Kraig Grady
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2001
      Ryan!
      Carlo Gesualdo was rediscovered by Stravinsky and not without good reason.
      After the murder of his wife and her lover, an event to which he seemed never to
      recover, his music became some of the chromatic music for a good two hundred
      years. when performed decently, few and far between, one is overwhelmed at the
      ease and skill he goes from emotion to emotion in a single phrase. What
      emotions, all of them. In the end a tortured soul. quite a change with the
      emotional stasis of our "modern' musical world.
      BTW was Partch's "delusion of the Fury" on the list?

      Ryan Whitehead wrote:

      > He elevates the unknown (by me at least) 16th century composer
      > Carlo Gesualdo to the ranks of the best composers ever.

      -- Kraig Grady
      North American Embassy of Anaphoria island
      http://www.anaphoria.com

      The Wandering Medicine Show
      Wed. 8-9 KXLU 88.9 fm