Re: [thewire] 100 microhouse records by radiohead and Kraut

  • Jason Witherspoon
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2001
      At 12:24 AM +0000 8/12/01, ralph2391311@... wrote:
      > 1)Cornucopia-Full Horn
      > 2)Gila-Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (Popul Vuh fans-it's
      >basically Popul Vuh with Conny Veidt songs instead of Florian's)
      > 3)Annexus Quam-Osmose
      > 4)Yatha Sidra-A Meditation Mass
      > 5)Kalacakra-Crawling to Lhasa
      > 6)Dzyan-Time Machine
      > 7)Deuter-D
      > 8)The Nazgul
      > 9)Limbus 4-Mandalas
      > 10)Electric Mud

      Really good list-- I guess I need to listen to the Cornucopia again,
      because it didn't really strike me that much the last time I heard
      it, but a strong second to most everything else. Quibbles: I'd
      probably pick Gila's _s/t_ [_Free Electric Sound_] over the very Vuh
      _BMHaWK_; _Electric Silence_ is just about as great a record as _Time
      Machine_; and Limbus 3, _Cosmic Music Experience_ might edge out
      _Mandalas_ for me. Wasn't so taken w/the Nazgul; who's Electric Mud?

      Can't limit to 10, but here's some of my favorites (and yeah, a lot
      of these guys aren't German, but this stuff is still primo stuff in
      what I consider to be a very "krautrock" vein):

      * Brainticket _Cottonwoodhill_
      Unbelievable. Godhead. Really, really messed up shit. I'm also
      fond of _Psychonaut_, which sounds like Royal Trux in their most
      balls-out biker rock mode at moments, like stoned hippie folk at
      others. Still pretty schizo, but nothing can quite compare to the
      'hill.

      * Agitation Free _Malesch_

      * Mammut _s/t_
      (hopefully the legal problems will get cleared up so we can get an
      official cd release of this in print again)

      * Xhol Caravan _Mother Fuckers GMBH_

      * Walter Wegmüller _The Tarot_

      * Krokodil _An Invisible World Revealed_

      * Heldon _Un Reve Sans Consequence Speciale_

      * Lard Free _s/t_ ["knife stabs cloud in salmon sky"]

      * Embryo _Steig Aus_, _Rocksession_, _Opal_, _We Keep On_, etc.
      Hard to pick-- one of my favorite bands. Interpolating
      electric-jazz/"world" music (mainly N. African/Indian) into the kraut
      stew-- great great stuff.

      * Dom _s/t_

      * Sand _Ultrasonic Seraphim_

      * Between _And the Waters Opened_

      * Group 1850 _Paradise Now_

      * Bröselmaschine _s/t_

      Some minor players who I still wouldn't want to be without-- warning,
      there might be some acquired tastes ahead!:

      * Lava _Tears are Going Home_

      * Sixty Nine _Circle of the Crayfish_
      (anyone got the double-live lp/G-phone boot? contact me!)

      * Thirsty Moon _You'll Never Come Back_

      * Electric Sandwich _s/t_

      And, I'm supposing Guru Guru is too big of a name to make this
      more-unheard-of exercise, but here's some similarly heavy brethren:

      * Gomorrha _I Turned to See Whose Voice It Was_

      * Silberbart _4 Times Sound Razing_

      * My Solid Ground _s/t_

      * Hairy Chapter _Can't Get Through_

      * Toad _s/t_