Re: my own bitter + twisted summer top 10 ish..

  • jklm@madasafish.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
      --- In thewire@y..., Keith McColl <Keithm@t...> wrote:
      we all go back + crank up abc's
      > 'lexicon of love' every now + again or other such pish

      had to tape this for a mate over the weekend who saw them supporting
      robbie williams at the theatre of wet dreams. it's a classic!
    • simonsmith@readingchronicle.co.uk
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
        About a fortnight ago I was jumping around and screaming very loudly to Living
        on a Prayer, by the mighty Bon Jovi .... but since we're all doing this slice of
        life thing, the pile by the stereo/discman contains at the moment ....

        The White Stripes album ... and the two Strokes singles ... I know, not very
        Wire, but it amuses me that this stuff is so raved about, and its basically old
        indie guitar stuff ... White Stripes makes me crave Pixies, and the ever-so hip
        Strokes make me think of, variously, Tiger, Birdland and (ahem) The Frank and
        Walters ... .I'm sure they'd be thrilled to hear it!

        Stanton Warriors mix CD ... thanks for the tip Keith, but your 'fuck that'
        response to the Basement Jaxx comparison was rather negated by the fact that the
        first track is by ... erm ... Basement Jaxx!! Wicked stuff all the same

        New Aphex Twin single ... don't know what it's called but the label says 'two
        mixes by AFX' - second mix has a Mouse on Mars mental-ness ... also new
        Stereolab single

        Orlando Lopez album on World Circuit ... a bit brown rice and beans, I know, but
        saw him and band, with Pee Wee Ellis, at Womad, and they knocked the socks off
        the Afro-Cuban All Stars. By the way, are you allowed to buy this kind of thing
        in the States?

        Archie Shepp's Blase, on a two-for-one on Jazz Actuel with Live at the Pan
        African Festival

        and ...Who Is Jill Scott?; the Christian Marclay Moving Parts thing; finally got
        round to Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts; Television's eponymous and Felt's Poem of the
        River .... oh, and ABC's Lexicon of Love, of course ... after a few weeks of
        thinking all music is shit, I've now decided that all music is, as they'd say on
        The Fast Show, BRILLIANT!!

        Subject: [thewire] Re: my own bitter + twisted summer top 10 ish..
        Author: jklm@...
        Date: 03/08/2001 10:43

        --- In thewire@y..., Keith McColl <Keithm@t...> wrote:
        we all go back + crank up abc's
        > 'lexicon of love' every now + again or other such pish

        TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

      • jklm@madasafish.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
          --- In thewire@y..., simonsmith@r... wrote:

          > Archie Shepp's Blase, on a two-for-one on Jazz Actuel with Live at
          the Pan
          > African Festival

          I bought the same cd a few weeks ago, what d'you think of it? for me
          the live album's disappointing, and altho there's a lot of excellent
          moments on "blase" - don't you just want to shoot those harmonica
          players after a while?