RE: [thewire] Summer playlist

  • Gwendal Cobert
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
      > Jimi Tenor -- Cosmic Relief on Sahko/Puu
      any good ? in his Warp material vein ?

      Gwendal
    • Gwendal Cobert
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
        > beta band - 3eps
        > never heard much by them before but people seem to be raving
        > about their new
        > album. I bought this instead cos it was only £6.99.
        I really like that one - has a perfect pop song on it, Inner Meet Me...
        Curious to hear the albums too

        Gwendal
      • Keith McColl
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
          well worth a go - last album - the 1 with babbling brook cover i think is
          better than the new 1 - new 1 is their merc rev deserters songs stab at
          curio pop if you will . 2nd 1 more fun for stupid musical japes - but hey
          wot would i know

          ***MY 98'S BOOMIN WITH A TRUNK O FUNK ***
          Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
          company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
          attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
          recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
          inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
          e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

        • jamello@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
            Less Warp-ish (i.e., slick), more like his old-school lo-fi Sahko/Puu sound from the time of his second album. However, I'm not a fair judge, as I tend to buy/like everything he puts out.
          • R. Lim
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 15, 2001
              On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Gwendal Cobert wrote:

              > 7) Tons of people - You are my sunshine :
              > this is probably one of the most covered tunes ever, I know versions by
              > Therapy ?, Bryan Ferry, Otis Redding, Anticon, there's one on O'Brother
              > OST... It's funny how every artist shapes it to fit a specific target, be it
              > personal, political...

              The Beach Boys did a version of it for Smile (on the tail end of a medley
              with "The Old Master Painter")...

              -rob