RE: [thewire] my own bitter + twisted summer top 10 ish..

  • Keith McColl
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
      excellent descriptions mr twighlight - nice to see an unpretentious top 10 -
      someone elses 10 read like the obligatory wire 10 list - fuck it must be
      tuff being that kool - as mentioned before - we all go back + crank up abc's
      'lexicon of love' every now + again or other such pish

      ***MY 98'S BOOMIN WITH A TRUNK O FUNK ***
      Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
      company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
      attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
      recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
      inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
      e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

    • jklm@madasafish.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
        --- In thewire@y..., Keith McColl <Keithm@t...> wrote:
        we all go back + crank up abc's
        > 'lexicon of love' every now + again or other such pish

        had to tape this for a mate over the weekend who saw them supporting
        robbie williams at the theatre of wet dreams. it's a classic!
      • simonsmith@readingchronicle.co.uk
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
          About a fortnight ago I was jumping around and screaming very loudly to Living
          on a Prayer, by the mighty Bon Jovi .... but since we're all doing this slice of
          life thing, the pile by the stereo/discman contains at the moment ....

          The White Stripes album ... and the two Strokes singles ... I know, not very
          Wire, but it amuses me that this stuff is so raved about, and its basically old
          indie guitar stuff ... White Stripes makes me crave Pixies, and the ever-so hip
          Strokes make me think of, variously, Tiger, Birdland and (ahem) The Frank and
          Walters ... .I'm sure they'd be thrilled to hear it!

          Stanton Warriors mix CD ... thanks for the tip Keith, but your 'fuck that'
          response to the Basement Jaxx comparison was rather negated by the fact that the
          first track is by ... erm ... Basement Jaxx!! Wicked stuff all the same

          New Aphex Twin single ... don't know what it's called but the label says 'two
          mixes by AFX' - second mix has a Mouse on Mars mental-ness ... also new
          Stereolab single

          Orlando Lopez album on World Circuit ... a bit brown rice and beans, I know, but
          saw him and band, with Pee Wee Ellis, at Womad, and they knocked the socks off
          the Afro-Cuban All Stars. By the way, are you allowed to buy this kind of thing
          in the States?

          Archie Shepp's Blase, on a two-for-one on Jazz Actuel with Live at the Pan
          African Festival

          and ...Who Is Jill Scott?; the Christian Marclay Moving Parts thing; finally got
          round to Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts; Television's eponymous and Felt's Poem of the
          River .... oh, and ABC's Lexicon of Love, of course ... after a few weeks of
          thinking all music is shit, I've now decided that all music is, as they'd say on
          The Fast Show, BRILLIANT!!

          Subject: [thewire] Re: my own bitter + twisted summer top 10 ish..
          Author: jklm@...
          Date: 03/08/2001 10:43

          --- In thewire@y..., Keith McColl <Keithm@t...> wrote:
          we all go back + crank up abc's
          > 'lexicon of love' every now + again or other such pish

          TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

        • jklm@madasafish.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
            --- In thewire@y..., simonsmith@r... wrote:

            > Archie Shepp's Blase, on a two-for-one on Jazz Actuel with Live at
            the Pan
            > African Festival

            I bought the same cd a few weeks ago, what d'you think of it? for me
            the live album's disappointing, and altho there's a lot of excellent
            moments on "blase" - don't you just want to shoot those harmonica
            players after a while?