RE: [thewire] Summer playlist

  • Jason Witherspoon
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
      At 11:55 AM +0100 8/2/01, Gareth Pashley wrote:
      >about Mungo Jerry....i'll ask him if i see him...he lives around the corner
      >from us

      Sweet bejeebus, Mungo Jerry. I remember, before the West Coast Pop
      Art Experimental Band reissues came out on Sundazed, being in a
      record store & seeing something like 4 separate Munjo Jerry cds (a
      couple of greatest hits, one of which was a 2cd, a 2lps-on-on-cd
      comp, etc). At the time it was an index of the great evil &
      injustice in the world that there was that much Mungo Jerry product
      available & almost no official WCPAEB releases around. I've calmed
      down since.

      Well, he's better than Fennesz, anyway.
      --

      Jason Witherspoon
      ICQ #62837760

      ---------
      ----O----
      --- ---
      --- ---
      ----O----
      ---------
    • jamello@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
        Dancin' round the kitchen this summer to...

        Tony Allen -- Progress

        Recent Gorillaz and White Stripes CD (I know, not Wire-hip but whatever)

        Jimi Tenor -- Cosmic Relief on Sahko/Puu

        That Finnish 70s jazz 12" reissued on JazzPuu with the Kenny Dope remix (forgot the name)

        Louis Austin -- Amore 12" on Cheap

        Marumari -- Supermogadon on Carpark

        Any Soul Jazz comp (the previously mentioned Dynamite series, New Orleans Funk, Studio 1 Rockers, etc.)

        Later.
      • Jan Miloszewski
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
          what I listened to today while skiving off work

          beta band - 3eps
          never heard much by them before but people seem to be raving about their new
          album. I bought this instead cos it was only £6.99.

          culturecide - tacky souvenirs of pre-revolutionary america
          found this last week in an old box full of tapes I hadn't listened to for
          years and put it on a minidisk - still makes me laugh.

          john cage - cheap imitation
          saw it in a second hand shop and impulse bought.

          sun city girls - libyan dream
          another band I've heard loads about but never actually listened to before.
          not as good as I was hoping it would be but still interesting.

          darker than blue
          best blood & fire release for ages.

          early girls volume 3
          includes "old cape cod" by patti page. sublime.

          stay cool

          jklm
          fave mungo jerry track: alright alright alright....
        • Gwendal Cobert
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
            > Jimi Tenor -- Cosmic Relief on Sahko/Puu
            any good ? in his Warp material vein ?

            Gwendal
          • Gwendal Cobert
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
              > beta band - 3eps
              > never heard much by them before but people seem to be raving
              > about their new
              > album. I bought this instead cos it was only £6.99.
              I really like that one - has a perfect pop song on it, Inner Meet Me...
              Curious to hear the albums too

              Gwendal
            • Keith McColl
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                well worth a go - last album - the 1 with babbling brook cover i think is
                better than the new 1 - new 1 is their merc rev deserters songs stab at
                curio pop if you will . 2nd 1 more fun for stupid musical japes - but hey
                wot would i know

                ***MY 98'S BOOMIN WITH A TRUNK O FUNK ***
                Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
                company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
                attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
                recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
                inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
                e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

              • jamello@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                  Less Warp-ish (i.e., slick), more like his old-school lo-fi Sahko/Puu sound from the time of his second album. However, I'm not a fair judge, as I tend to buy/like everything he puts out.
                • R. Lim
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 15, 2001
                    On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Gwendal Cobert wrote:

                    > 7) Tons of people - You are my sunshine :
                    > this is probably one of the most covered tunes ever, I know versions by
                    > Therapy ?, Bryan Ferry, Otis Redding, Anticon, there's one on O'Brother
                    > OST... It's funny how every artist shapes it to fit a specific target, be it
                    > personal, political...

                    The Beach Boys did a version of it for Smile (on the tail end of a medley
                    with "The Old Master Painter")...

                    -rob