RE: [thewire] Summer playlist

  • Steeples Paul (Mr PW)
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
      Who could forget "Long-Legged Woman Dressed in Black", inspiration for the
      '70s football chant "in the net, in the net, in the net - in the net, in the
      net, in the net, net, net"?

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
        ciao Gwendal,
        ...well i colpletly agree with you,
        happy to discover that someonelse
        can listen to both Low and Destiny's Child with no shame!!

        ...other shameless summer suggestions from anybody?

        thanks a lot

        gmb

        http://move.to/negarville
        http://www.madrigalimagri.com

        Gwendal Cobert wrote:

        > 4) Low - A special gift :
        > Short song at the end of a short album ("Christmas"), perfect covers, icy
        > voices, Low at their best IMHO.
        > 10) Destiny's Child - Bootylicious :
        > I hope I don't get booted for putting this one here, but I think that one
        > track is brilliantly produced, and mixes together the weird bass line with a
        > tune that sounds like they stole it from Michael Jackson, plus completely
        > stupid lyrics.
        >
        > Gwendal

      • Jason Witherspoon
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
          At 11:55 AM +0100 8/2/01, Gareth Pashley wrote:
          >about Mungo Jerry....i'll ask him if i see him...he lives around the corner
          >from us

          Sweet bejeebus, Mungo Jerry. I remember, before the West Coast Pop
          Art Experimental Band reissues came out on Sundazed, being in a
          record store & seeing something like 4 separate Munjo Jerry cds (a
          couple of greatest hits, one of which was a 2cd, a 2lps-on-on-cd
          comp, etc). At the time it was an index of the great evil &
          injustice in the world that there was that much Mungo Jerry product
          available & almost no official WCPAEB releases around. I've calmed
          down since.

          Well, he's better than Fennesz, anyway.
          --

          Jason Witherspoon
          ICQ #62837760

          ---------
          ----O----
          --- ---
          --- ---
          ----O----
          ---------
        • jamello@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
            Dancin' round the kitchen this summer to...

            Tony Allen -- Progress

            Recent Gorillaz and White Stripes CD (I know, not Wire-hip but whatever)

            Jimi Tenor -- Cosmic Relief on Sahko/Puu

            That Finnish 70s jazz 12" reissued on JazzPuu with the Kenny Dope remix (forgot the name)

            Louis Austin -- Amore 12" on Cheap

            Marumari -- Supermogadon on Carpark

            Any Soul Jazz comp (the previously mentioned Dynamite series, New Orleans Funk, Studio 1 Rockers, etc.)

            Later.
          • Jan Miloszewski
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
              what I listened to today while skiving off work

              beta band - 3eps
              never heard much by them before but people seem to be raving about their new
              album. I bought this instead cos it was only £6.99.

              culturecide - tacky souvenirs of pre-revolutionary america
              found this last week in an old box full of tapes I hadn't listened to for
              years and put it on a minidisk - still makes me laugh.

              john cage - cheap imitation
              saw it in a second hand shop and impulse bought.

              sun city girls - libyan dream
              another band I've heard loads about but never actually listened to before.
              not as good as I was hoping it would be but still interesting.

              darker than blue
              best blood & fire release for ages.

              early girls volume 3
              includes "old cape cod" by patti page. sublime.

              stay cool

              jklm
              fave mungo jerry track: alright alright alright....
            • Gwendal Cobert
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                > Jimi Tenor -- Cosmic Relief on Sahko/Puu
                any good ? in his Warp material vein ?

                Gwendal
              • Gwendal Cobert
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                  > beta band - 3eps
                  > never heard much by them before but people seem to be raving
                  > about their new
                  > album. I bought this instead cos it was only £6.99.
                  I really like that one - has a perfect pop song on it, Inner Meet Me...
                  Curious to hear the albums too

                  Gwendal
                • Keith McColl
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                    well worth a go - last album - the 1 with babbling brook cover i think is
                    better than the new 1 - new 1 is their merc rev deserters songs stab at
                    curio pop if you will . 2nd 1 more fun for stupid musical japes - but hey
                    wot would i know

                    ***MY 98'S BOOMIN WITH A TRUNK O FUNK ***
                    Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
                    company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
                    attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
                    recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
                    inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
                    e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

                  • jamello@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                      Less Warp-ish (i.e., slick), more like his old-school lo-fi Sahko/Puu sound from the time of his second album. However, I'm not a fair judge, as I tend to buy/like everything he puts out.
                    • R. Lim
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 15, 2001
                        On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Gwendal Cobert wrote:

                        > 7) Tons of people - You are my sunshine :
                        > this is probably one of the most covered tunes ever, I know versions by
                        > Therapy ?, Bryan Ferry, Otis Redding, Anticon, there's one on O'Brother
                        > OST... It's funny how every artist shapes it to fit a specific target, be it
                        > personal, political...

                        The Beach Boys did a version of it for Smile (on the tail end of a medley
                        with "The Old Master Painter")...

                        -rob