RE: [thewire] Summer playlist

  • Gareth Pashley
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
      about Mungo Jerry....i'll ask him if i see him...he lives around the corner
      from us

    • Steeples Paul (Mr PW)
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
        Who could forget "Long-Legged Woman Dressed in Black", inspiration for the
        '70s football chant "in the net, in the net, in the net - in the net, in the
        net, in the net, net, net"?

        about Mungo Jerry....i'll ask him if i see him...he lives around the corner
        from us

        TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

      • GMB
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
          ciao Gwendal,
          ...well i colpletly agree with you,
          happy to discover that someonelse
          can listen to both Low and Destiny's Child with no shame!!

          ...other shameless summer suggestions from anybody?

          thanks a lot

          gmb

          http://move.to/negarville
          http://www.madrigalimagri.com

          Gwendal Cobert wrote:

          > 4) Low - A special gift :
          > Short song at the end of a short album ("Christmas"), perfect covers, icy
          > voices, Low at their best IMHO.
          > 10) Destiny's Child - Bootylicious :
          > I hope I don't get booted for putting this one here, but I think that one
          > track is brilliantly produced, and mixes together the weird bass line with a
          > tune that sounds like they stole it from Michael Jackson, plus completely
          > stupid lyrics.
          >
          > Gwendal

        • Jason Witherspoon
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
            At 11:55 AM +0100 8/2/01, Gareth Pashley wrote:
            >about Mungo Jerry....i'll ask him if i see him...he lives around the corner
            >from us

            Sweet bejeebus, Mungo Jerry. I remember, before the West Coast Pop
            Art Experimental Band reissues came out on Sundazed, being in a
            record store & seeing something like 4 separate Munjo Jerry cds (a
            couple of greatest hits, one of which was a 2cd, a 2lps-on-on-cd
            comp, etc). At the time it was an index of the great evil &
            injustice in the world that there was that much Mungo Jerry product
            available & almost no official WCPAEB releases around. I've calmed
            down since.

            Well, he's better than Fennesz, anyway.
            --

            Jason Witherspoon
            ICQ #62837760

            ---------
            ----O----
            --- ---
            --- ---
            ----O----
            ---------
          • jamello@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
              Dancin' round the kitchen this summer to...

              Tony Allen -- Progress

              Recent Gorillaz and White Stripes CD (I know, not Wire-hip but whatever)

              Jimi Tenor -- Cosmic Relief on Sahko/Puu

              That Finnish 70s jazz 12" reissued on JazzPuu with the Kenny Dope remix (forgot the name)

              Louis Austin -- Amore 12" on Cheap

              Marumari -- Supermogadon on Carpark

              Any Soul Jazz comp (the previously mentioned Dynamite series, New Orleans Funk, Studio 1 Rockers, etc.)

              Later.
            • Jan Miloszewski
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
                what I listened to today while skiving off work

                beta band - 3eps
                never heard much by them before but people seem to be raving about their new
                album. I bought this instead cos it was only £6.99.

                culturecide - tacky souvenirs of pre-revolutionary america
                found this last week in an old box full of tapes I hadn't listened to for
                years and put it on a minidisk - still makes me laugh.

                john cage - cheap imitation
                saw it in a second hand shop and impulse bought.

                sun city girls - libyan dream
                another band I've heard loads about but never actually listened to before.
                not as good as I was hoping it would be but still interesting.

                darker than blue
                best blood & fire release for ages.

                early girls volume 3
                includes "old cape cod" by patti page. sublime.

                stay cool

                jklm
                fave mungo jerry track: alright alright alright....
              • Gwendal Cobert
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                  > Jimi Tenor -- Cosmic Relief on Sahko/Puu
                  any good ? in his Warp material vein ?

                  Gwendal
                • Gwendal Cobert
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                    > beta band - 3eps
                    > never heard much by them before but people seem to be raving
                    > about their new
                    > album. I bought this instead cos it was only £6.99.
                    I really like that one - has a perfect pop song on it, Inner Meet Me...
                    Curious to hear the albums too

                    Gwendal
                  • Keith McColl
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                      well worth a go - last album - the 1 with babbling brook cover i think is
                      better than the new 1 - new 1 is their merc rev deserters songs stab at
                      curio pop if you will . 2nd 1 more fun for stupid musical japes - but hey
                      wot would i know

                      ***MY 98'S BOOMIN WITH A TRUNK O FUNK ***
                      Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
                      company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
                      attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
                      recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
                      inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
                      e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

                    • jamello@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                        Less Warp-ish (i.e., slick), more like his old-school lo-fi Sahko/Puu sound from the time of his second album. However, I'm not a fair judge, as I tend to buy/like everything he puts out.
                      • R. Lim
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 15, 2001
                          On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Gwendal Cobert wrote:

                          > 7) Tons of people - You are my sunshine :
                          > this is probably one of the most covered tunes ever, I know versions by
                          > Therapy ?, Bryan Ferry, Otis Redding, Anticon, there's one on O'Brother
                          > OST... It's funny how every artist shapes it to fit a specific target, be it
                          > personal, political...

                          The Beach Boys did a version of it for Smile (on the tail end of a medley
                          with "The Old Master Painter")...

                          -rob