my own bitter + twisted summer top 10 ish..

  • Keith McColl
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2001
      ok now we're flexing our top 10 muscles - heres wots on minen minidisque
      system at mo.........

      lynyrd skynyrd - honky tonk nightime man - old haggard tune on last skynyrd
      studio album before they went up in flames - a fuckin ripper

      brad - 20th century boy - old pearl jam / seattle axis pish from 93 -
      beautiful production+ some of the saddest keys ever - c minor isnt it ?

      miles davis - jack johnson - a fuckin hummdinger

      red planet 6 - starchild - the greatest groove since stardancer the boys @
      ur laid down - remember rockin to it @ rave in forest in melbourne new years
      day - maaan - good acid

      missy elliot - miss e addictive - not my usual ting - this rnb fucked up
      beats bizniz - but this is ace

      ego - live sessions - double cd jopb from glitchy/micro house scene -
      brinkman , etc... all the boys - really lovely - i assume the club night was
      in berlin?

      the outcasts - swamp fever - old belfast punk band - this is from 83 - like
      a twisted psychobilly david bowie - good eerie production - they were big in
      france at that time alledgedly - not to be confused with the other outcasts
      - mid 60's garage trash band who did the classic 'im in pittsburgh + its
      rainin' - later covered by the vibes in 85 - fact fans .

      ok - cant think anymore - all that typing without make a crass quip is too
      much for me .
      happy suntans
      keith

      ***MY 98'S BOOMIN WITH A TRUNK O FUNK ***
      Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
      company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
      attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
      recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
      inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
      e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited
    • Keith McColl
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2001
        THE METhod man + redman trk is da bomb . good production - but it sure aint
        a wk of intellectual genius . just good fun booty shakin trks . i doubt the
        brooklyn massive are contemplating timbalands sparse beats quite as much as
        the gulit ridden white mid classes @ wire hq+islington .
        shes got more bounce than the fuckin ounce
        wurd gwendal - big up yerself

        ***MY 98'S BOOMIN WITH A TRUNK O FUNK ***
        Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
        company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
        attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
        recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
        inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
        e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

      • Gwendal Cobert
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2001
          > missy elliot - miss e addictive - not my usual ting - this
          > rnb fucked up
          > beats bizniz - but this is ace
          I still don't understand what's so great about this album - gave it a try, I
          find 90% simply boring, while the remaining 10% are a couple of great
          singles (Get ur freak on most notalby)...
          Gwendal
        • twilights last gleaming
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2001
            Summer top 10

            Rev.Charlie Jackson- Louisiana Gospel Dynamite
            (Curlew)
            shit-hot funky guitar and shouting gospel from Baton
            Rouge's one man congregation- the Rev.Charlie Jackson.
            I know he's a preacher and all but you get the good
            Rev.Charlie and Joe Townsend (see God's Mighty Hand
            and Southern Comfort Country comps)in a room together
            and I guarantee a bottle of corn liqour is coming out.

            David Allan Coe- Nuthing Sacred (DAC)
            Equally one of the greatest and most offensive
            Country-Western albums ever made. Recorded live to
            reel-to-reel with the Biker Gang Coe was living with
            in Ohio at the time as the audience (and in certain
            cases co-writers). Steady 3/4 country shuffle supreme
            tear-assing through songs like "Pussy Whipped Again".
            Will Oldham can only effect shit like this. Put that
            little trust-fund darling in a room with a bunch of
            real bikers and he leaves in pieces.

            Saturday Looks Good to Me- S/T LP (Hereforeveralways)
            apparently related somehow to His Name is Alive- but
            I don't have the energy or wherewith all to give a
            shit. Most of this is just mediocre but the track "I
            Would Find it So Beautiful" (in vocal and instrumental
            versions)is as fine a melding of Phil Spector
            produced-pop and later Otis Redding balladry as poor
            indie-boy souls are likely to manage. The
            seagull-Hammond organ coda is ya know to die for.

            Miles Davis- Get Up With It 2LP
            Father Moo & The Black Sheep- lathe LP (Eclipse)
            Tangerine Dream- Alpha Centauri
            Taj Mahal Travellers- July 15,1972 LP (Iskra)
            sounds nice slowly mixed together in a long two-hour
            come down- my late Saturday night/early Sunday morning
            cure for a hangover.

            James Black- (I Need) Altitude LP (Tuff City/Night
            Train)
            y'all can have Clyde Stubblefield- Mr.James Black is
            my original funky drummer #1. Played on all the fonky
            (nawlins spelling)Eddie Bo 45's on Scram and Bo-Cage
            in the sixties. This is a bunch of un-issued drum
            excursions and ass-backwards N.O. soul shakedowns.
            Hook it and sling it.

            Soul Destroyers- Blow Your Top Pts. 1 & 2 45
            By far the best of the nuevo-funky 45 scene. As tight
            as anything on Funk Spectrum or Brainfreeze. I think
            it's on Stark Reality or Desco or one of those
            ltd-collector 45 labels. I burned this a few weeks and
            it's been rattling the speakers of my piece-of-shit
            Cadillac ever since.

            Edgar Broughton Band- Out Demons Out CD
            brilliant collection of one of my favorite
            dunderheaded rock bands off all time. Pink Fairies
            meets Black Oak Arkansas choogle with Captain
            Beefheart's pipes. Slam this a fifth of Old Crow and
            some of those early Howlin Wolf 45's on RPM and Chess
            and you've got one helluva weekend.

            I'd also concur with Skynyrd as vry fine summer
            listening material. I like to slip into Lynyrd's fine
            country-blues jail shuffle, "Four Walls of Raiford"
            myself. Can't argue with a Merle Haggard cover though.

            hot nuts and lollipops
            tl

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • Alex Stone
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2001
              >Edgar Broughton Band- Out Demons Out CD
              > brilliant collection of one of my favorite
              >dunderheaded rock bands off all time.

              Now we're talking! I loved the 'Inside Out" LP, and also the one with the
              'meat' sleeve. What a band! What hairdo's! Has it got 'Gone Blue' on it?
              "I dig the way you ricochet off ma piece of lead"
              Rockin'! Got to go and find some and reminisce.
            • Keith McColl
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
                excellent descriptions mr twighlight - nice to see an unpretentious top 10 -
                someone elses 10 read like the obligatory wire 10 list - fuck it must be
                tuff being that kool - as mentioned before - we all go back + crank up abc's
                'lexicon of love' every now + again or other such pish

              • jklm@madasafish.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
                  --- In thewire@y..., Keith McColl <Keithm@t...> wrote:
                  we all go back + crank up abc's
                  > 'lexicon of love' every now + again or other such pish

                  had to tape this for a mate over the weekend who saw them supporting
                  robbie williams at the theatre of wet dreams. it's a classic!
                • simonsmith@readingchronicle.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
                    About a fortnight ago I was jumping around and screaming very loudly to Living
                    on a Prayer, by the mighty Bon Jovi .... but since we're all doing this slice of
                    life thing, the pile by the stereo/discman contains at the moment ....

                    The White Stripes album ... and the two Strokes singles ... I know, not very
                    Wire, but it amuses me that this stuff is so raved about, and its basically old
                    indie guitar stuff ... White Stripes makes me crave Pixies, and the ever-so hip
                    Strokes make me think of, variously, Tiger, Birdland and (ahem) The Frank and
                    Walters ... .I'm sure they'd be thrilled to hear it!

                    Stanton Warriors mix CD ... thanks for the tip Keith, but your 'fuck that'
                    response to the Basement Jaxx comparison was rather negated by the fact that the
                    first track is by ... erm ... Basement Jaxx!! Wicked stuff all the same

                    New Aphex Twin single ... don't know what it's called but the label says 'two
                    mixes by AFX' - second mix has a Mouse on Mars mental-ness ... also new
                    Stereolab single

                    Orlando Lopez album on World Circuit ... a bit brown rice and beans, I know, but
                    saw him and band, with Pee Wee Ellis, at Womad, and they knocked the socks off
                    the Afro-Cuban All Stars. By the way, are you allowed to buy this kind of thing
                    in the States?

                    Archie Shepp's Blase, on a two-for-one on Jazz Actuel with Live at the Pan
                    African Festival

                    and ...Who Is Jill Scott?; the Christian Marclay Moving Parts thing; finally got
                    round to Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts; Television's eponymous and Felt's Poem of the
                    River .... oh, and ABC's Lexicon of Love, of course ... after a few weeks of
                    thinking all music is shit, I've now decided that all music is, as they'd say on
                    The Fast Show, BRILLIANT!!

                    Subject: [thewire] Re: my own bitter + twisted summer top 10 ish..
                    Author: jklm@...
                    Date: 03/08/2001 10:43

                    --- In thewire@y..., Keith McColl <Keithm@t...> wrote:
                    we all go back + crank up abc's
                    > 'lexicon of love' every now + again or other such pish

                    TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

                  • jklm@madasafish.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
                      --- In thewire@y..., simonsmith@r... wrote:

                      > Archie Shepp's Blase, on a two-for-one on Jazz Actuel with Live at
                      the Pan
                      > African Festival

                      I bought the same cd a few weeks ago, what d'you think of it? for me
                      the live album's disappointing, and altho there's a lot of excellent
                      moments on "blase" - don't you just want to shoot those harmonica
                      players after a while?