RE: [thewire] Summer playlist

  • Gwendal Cobert
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
      forgot one : Manuel Gootsching E2-E4, the second half is perfect listening
      for the sumer too - gentle guitars stongly reminiscent of Isolée and Durutti
      Column
      Gwendal
    • Gareth Pashley
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
        about Mungo Jerry....i'll ask him if i see him...he lives around the corner
        from us

      • Steeples Paul (Mr PW)
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
          Who could forget "Long-Legged Woman Dressed in Black", inspiration for the
          '70s football chant "in the net, in the net, in the net - in the net, in the
          net, in the net, net, net"?

          about Mungo Jerry....i'll ask him if i see him...he lives around the corner
          from us

          TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

        • GMB
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
            ciao Gwendal,
            ...well i colpletly agree with you,
            happy to discover that someonelse
            can listen to both Low and Destiny's Child with no shame!!

            ...other shameless summer suggestions from anybody?

            thanks a lot

            gmb

            http://move.to/negarville
            http://www.madrigalimagri.com

            Gwendal Cobert wrote:

            > 4) Low - A special gift :
            > Short song at the end of a short album ("Christmas"), perfect covers, icy
            > voices, Low at their best IMHO.
            > 10) Destiny's Child - Bootylicious :
            > I hope I don't get booted for putting this one here, but I think that one
            > track is brilliantly produced, and mixes together the weird bass line with a
            > tune that sounds like they stole it from Michael Jackson, plus completely
            > stupid lyrics.
            >
            > Gwendal

          • Jason Witherspoon
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
              At 11:55 AM +0100 8/2/01, Gareth Pashley wrote:
              >about Mungo Jerry....i'll ask him if i see him...he lives around the corner
              >from us

              Sweet bejeebus, Mungo Jerry. I remember, before the West Coast Pop
              Art Experimental Band reissues came out on Sundazed, being in a
              record store & seeing something like 4 separate Munjo Jerry cds (a
              couple of greatest hits, one of which was a 2cd, a 2lps-on-on-cd
              comp, etc). At the time it was an index of the great evil &
              injustice in the world that there was that much Mungo Jerry product
              available & almost no official WCPAEB releases around. I've calmed
              down since.

              Well, he's better than Fennesz, anyway.
              --

              Jason Witherspoon
              ICQ #62837760

              ---------
              ----O----
              --- ---
              --- ---
              ----O----
              ---------
            • jamello@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
                Dancin' round the kitchen this summer to...

                Tony Allen -- Progress

                Recent Gorillaz and White Stripes CD (I know, not Wire-hip but whatever)

                Jimi Tenor -- Cosmic Relief on Sahko/Puu

                That Finnish 70s jazz 12" reissued on JazzPuu with the Kenny Dope remix (forgot the name)

                Louis Austin -- Amore 12" on Cheap

                Marumari -- Supermogadon on Carpark

                Any Soul Jazz comp (the previously mentioned Dynamite series, New Orleans Funk, Studio 1 Rockers, etc.)

                Later.
              • Jan Miloszewski
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
                  what I listened to today while skiving off work

                  beta band - 3eps
                  never heard much by them before but people seem to be raving about their new
                  album. I bought this instead cos it was only £6.99.

                  culturecide - tacky souvenirs of pre-revolutionary america
                  found this last week in an old box full of tapes I hadn't listened to for
                  years and put it on a minidisk - still makes me laugh.

                  john cage - cheap imitation
                  saw it in a second hand shop and impulse bought.

                  sun city girls - libyan dream
                  another band I've heard loads about but never actually listened to before.
                  not as good as I was hoping it would be but still interesting.

                  darker than blue
                  best blood & fire release for ages.

                  early girls volume 3
                  includes "old cape cod" by patti page. sublime.

                  stay cool

                  jklm
                  fave mungo jerry track: alright alright alright....
                • Gwendal Cobert
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                    > Jimi Tenor -- Cosmic Relief on Sahko/Puu
                    any good ? in his Warp material vein ?

                    Gwendal
                  • Gwendal Cobert
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                      > beta band - 3eps
                      > never heard much by them before but people seem to be raving
                      > about their new
                      > album. I bought this instead cos it was only £6.99.
                      I really like that one - has a perfect pop song on it, Inner Meet Me...
                      Curious to hear the albums too

                      Gwendal
                    • Keith McColl
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                        well worth a go - last album - the 1 with babbling brook cover i think is
                        better than the new 1 - new 1 is their merc rev deserters songs stab at
                        curio pop if you will . 2nd 1 more fun for stupid musical japes - but hey
                        wot would i know

                        ***MY 98'S BOOMIN WITH A TRUNK O FUNK ***
                        Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
                        company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
                        attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
                        recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
                        inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
                        e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

                      • jamello@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                          Less Warp-ish (i.e., slick), more like his old-school lo-fi Sahko/Puu sound from the time of his second album. However, I'm not a fair judge, as I tend to buy/like everything he puts out.
                        • R. Lim
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 15, 2001
                            On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Gwendal Cobert wrote:

                            > 7) Tons of people - You are my sunshine :
                            > this is probably one of the most covered tunes ever, I know versions by
                            > Therapy ?, Bryan Ferry, Otis Redding, Anticon, there's one on O'Brother
                            > OST... It's funny how every artist shapes it to fit a specific target, be it
                            > personal, political...

                            The Beach Boys did a version of it for Smile (on the tail end of a medley
                            with "The Old Master Painter")...

                            -rob