Summer playlist

  • Gwendal Cobert
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
      Thought I'd make this up... Ten tunes that I find ideal to take with me for
      this summer :
      1) Fennesz - Endless summer :
      I don't think I'm the only one to find this absolutely brilliant, I was a
      bit repelled by the semi-hype surrounding it at first, but it really is
      worth it, this track and the whole album as well - "shimmering"
      2) Undertones - Here comes the summer :
      I simply love that kind of punk-pop, I remember discovering this one through
      the Best of Peel Sessions, along with the Buzzcocks...
      3) Lloyd Price - Coconut woman :
      and the rest of 300% Dynamite as well. And the rest of the % Dynamite series
      as well. These collections are brilliant, I'm discovering reggae outside of
      Perry & Marley... plus, there are tons of tunes I already knew from
      elsewhere, it's great to find early versions of them (often better than the
      more famous ones - for example, I prefer the Marvels "Rock steady" than the
      Aretha Franklin version)
      4) Low - A special gift :
      Short song at the end of a short album ("Christmas"), perfect covers, icy
      voices, Low at their best IMHO.
      5) Mungo Jerry - In the summertime :
      does anybody know if this guy ever recorded anything besides that track ? Is
      it worth looking for ?
      6) Underground Resistance - Livin' for the nite (Saunderson mix) :
      very far from their most political & industrial output, this is a completely
      stupid track, plainly dancefloor-formatted, full of tricks that didn't age
      well, completely revolving around an irritating vocal sample - and it is
      completely addictive
      7) Tons of people - You are my sunshine :
      this is probably one of the most covered tunes ever, I know versions by
      Therapy ?, Bryan Ferry, Otis Redding, Anticon, there's one on O'Brother
      OST... It's funny how every artist shapes it to fit a specific target, be it
      personal, political...
      8) Barry Adamson - Saturn in the Summertime :
      this guy is one of the most amazing artists I know, each one of his albums
      is full of ideas, he's an incredible producer... and this track is most
      interesting because of the way he takes classic elements of lounge music nd
      distorts them
      9) Bran Van 3000 : Astounded :
      The whole album is a huge disappointment in spite of the impressive guest
      list, but this first track featuring Curtis Mayfield, on a disco-turns-Cuban
      tip, is just great
      10) Destiny's Child - Bootylicious :
      I hope I don't get booted for putting this one here, but I think that one
      track is brilliantly produced, and mixes together the weird bass line with a
      tune that sounds like they stole it from Michael Jackson, plus completely
      stupid lyrics.

      Gwendal
    • Gwendal Cobert
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
        forgot one : Manuel Gootsching E2-E4, the second half is perfect listening
        for the sumer too - gentle guitars stongly reminiscent of Isolée and Durutti
        Column
        Gwendal
      • Gareth Pashley
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
          about Mungo Jerry....i'll ask him if i see him...he lives around the corner
          from us

        • Steeples Paul (Mr PW)
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
            Who could forget "Long-Legged Woman Dressed in Black", inspiration for the
            '70s football chant "in the net, in the net, in the net - in the net, in the
            net, in the net, net, net"?

            about Mungo Jerry....i'll ask him if i see him...he lives around the corner
            from us

            TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

          • GMB
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
              ciao Gwendal,
              ...well i colpletly agree with you,
              happy to discover that someonelse
              can listen to both Low and Destiny's Child with no shame!!

              ...other shameless summer suggestions from anybody?

              thanks a lot

              gmb

              http://move.to/negarville
              http://www.madrigalimagri.com

              Gwendal Cobert wrote:

              > 4) Low - A special gift :
              > Short song at the end of a short album ("Christmas"), perfect covers, icy
              > voices, Low at their best IMHO.
              > 10) Destiny's Child - Bootylicious :
              > I hope I don't get booted for putting this one here, but I think that one
              > track is brilliantly produced, and mixes together the weird bass line with a
              > tune that sounds like they stole it from Michael Jackson, plus completely
              > stupid lyrics.
              >
              > Gwendal

            • Jason Witherspoon
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
                At 11:55 AM +0100 8/2/01, Gareth Pashley wrote:
                >about Mungo Jerry....i'll ask him if i see him...he lives around the corner
                >from us

                Sweet bejeebus, Mungo Jerry. I remember, before the West Coast Pop
                Art Experimental Band reissues came out on Sundazed, being in a
                record store & seeing something like 4 separate Munjo Jerry cds (a
                couple of greatest hits, one of which was a 2cd, a 2lps-on-on-cd
                comp, etc). At the time it was an index of the great evil &
                injustice in the world that there was that much Mungo Jerry product
                available & almost no official WCPAEB releases around. I've calmed
                down since.

                Well, he's better than Fennesz, anyway.
                --

                Jason Witherspoon
                ICQ #62837760

                ---------
                ----O----
                --- ---
                --- ---
                ----O----
                ---------
              • jamello@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
                  Dancin' round the kitchen this summer to...

                  Tony Allen -- Progress

                  Recent Gorillaz and White Stripes CD (I know, not Wire-hip but whatever)

                  Jimi Tenor -- Cosmic Relief on Sahko/Puu

                  That Finnish 70s jazz 12" reissued on JazzPuu with the Kenny Dope remix (forgot the name)

                  Louis Austin -- Amore 12" on Cheap

                  Marumari -- Supermogadon on Carpark

                  Any Soul Jazz comp (the previously mentioned Dynamite series, New Orleans Funk, Studio 1 Rockers, etc.)

                  Later.
                • Jan Miloszewski
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
                    what I listened to today while skiving off work

                    beta band - 3eps
                    never heard much by them before but people seem to be raving about their new
                    album. I bought this instead cos it was only £6.99.

                    culturecide - tacky souvenirs of pre-revolutionary america
                    found this last week in an old box full of tapes I hadn't listened to for
                    years and put it on a minidisk - still makes me laugh.

                    john cage - cheap imitation
                    saw it in a second hand shop and impulse bought.

                    sun city girls - libyan dream
                    another band I've heard loads about but never actually listened to before.
                    not as good as I was hoping it would be but still interesting.

                    darker than blue
                    best blood & fire release for ages.

                    early girls volume 3
                    includes "old cape cod" by patti page. sublime.

                    stay cool

                    jklm
                    fave mungo jerry track: alright alright alright....
                  • Gwendal Cobert
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                      > Jimi Tenor -- Cosmic Relief on Sahko/Puu
                      any good ? in his Warp material vein ?

                      Gwendal
                    • Gwendal Cobert
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                        > beta band - 3eps
                        > never heard much by them before but people seem to be raving
                        > about their new
                        > album. I bought this instead cos it was only £6.99.
                        I really like that one - has a perfect pop song on it, Inner Meet Me...
                        Curious to hear the albums too

                        Gwendal
                      • Keith McColl
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                          well worth a go - last album - the 1 with babbling brook cover i think is
                          better than the new 1 - new 1 is their merc rev deserters songs stab at
                          curio pop if you will . 2nd 1 more fun for stupid musical japes - but hey
                          wot would i know

                          ***MY 98'S BOOMIN WITH A TRUNK O FUNK ***
                          Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
                          company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
                          attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
                          recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
                          inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
                          e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

                        • jamello@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
                            Less Warp-ish (i.e., slick), more like his old-school lo-fi Sahko/Puu sound from the time of his second album. However, I'm not a fair judge, as I tend to buy/like everything he puts out.
                          • R. Lim
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 15, 2001
                              On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Gwendal Cobert wrote:

                              > 7) Tons of people - You are my sunshine :
                              > this is probably one of the most covered tunes ever, I know versions by
                              > Therapy ?, Bryan Ferry, Otis Redding, Anticon, there's one on O'Brother
                              > OST... It's funny how every artist shapes it to fit a specific target, be it
                              > personal, political...

                              The Beach Boys did a version of it for Smile (on the tail end of a medley
                              with "The Old Master Painter")...

                              -rob