injustice

  • rf
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 1998
      first something else with mick beck, simon fell and paul hession

      piece one: propulsive bass (fell) plucking in manners ranging from
      sweet carress to brutal assault.
      drumming, a cross between the boom-boom-boom of a jungle scene
      in an old film and whirlwind scat on cymbals (courtesy of hession).
      parping, growling, sqealing staccato and smooth sax
      (beck whose fingers feel out at least half a dozen notes for each one he plays)
      evicts any non resonant space hiding in the theatre, after about 5 minutes
      the flow settles then fluxes increasing tension as well as providing
      another dynamic to the music.later everything simmers and stops.
      (any one for a lobsterpaste factory in a shanghai opium den?)

      piece two: beck changes to using basoon (making sense of the microphone
      stand that would make lemmy cringe) and the intermittent gutteral soumds he
      produces from it are truly spine chilling (as are the more urgent notes).
      fell coaxes rasping (bowed) notes from the bass as well as the occassional
      squeal,
      echoing beck's sax display
      the drumming is slight, like amplified leaves scampering across a frosty
      pavement

      piece three: much the same feeling as one but with greater saturation and
      clarity
      fell is absolutely astounding - it's hard to tell whether he's playing the
      d.bass or vice versa

      So on to the solo:
      dereck bailey sets up centre stage, bright yellow speaker on cloth draped
      stand, at head height
      (standing, bailey sits):
      solo one:how many words can't describe what's happening?
      the impact of fingers/strings on the body of the guitar are as strongly
      sounded as what comes
      out of the speaker and at times the intensity of playing the instrument far
      outweighs what is
      being 'played'. The whole length of the guitar is used, the neck is
      scratched at and throttled
      volumes vary wildy as does the texture of the sound; piercing, rounded,
      fuzzy, caustic.
      and of course bailey's concentration never leaves the guitar. it's becoming
      apparent that
      listening to a recording of this would lose so much of the event (as would
      reading a description).
      once or twice there are noticable variations on a theme (a groove?) but
      most of the magic is in
      the unmappable changes - especially when you find yourself following him
      along hazarding
      a guess at what comes next, only to find it is already hindsight working.

      a disaster

      a sudden stop (which makes the sublimity of what's happened more intense)
      apparently a string has come loose or something.

      solo two: off we go again. out of nowhere the thought of a tropical beach
      accompanies an endearing
      twang a shift of emphasis mutates this into a parched wilderness, just as
      suddenly i'm back to listening
      to what's being played. bailey deccelerates and decides we've heard enough
      of [him alone], which is suprising
      because at points you could swear there were three people playing (though
      this could be said for all of them),
      highlighting that ability rather than showmanship makes for great
      entertainment.

      fell and hession return (invited) to the stage at this point hession's drum
      kit is behind bailey's speaker+stand
      which unfortunately muffles much of the drumming which doesn't exactly act
      as a counterpoint to the
      brittle sounds produced by bailey and fell - the cymbals interact well though.
      at some point one of bailey's strings gives in.
      next up beck is recalled to the stage with saxophone and the fragments of
      music produced by him with bailey
      and fell become grouped into a surging whole - enough to rip me from my
      seat if i weren't such a coward, hession
      played more sparingly and his sound was improved, fell also brought the
      d.bass into the percussion section, hitting
      its body with a drumstick, glance again and he's combining plucking and
      grazing a cd along the strings, blink and
      shudder at the rasping of strings below the bridge. beck seems to be
      floored by the music, on his knees flailing.

      a lovely night out, i'm encouraged to go back to my bailey/akchot´┐Ż record
      and give it another go, and on fell's
      performance i'd like to know if he has ever collaborated with fred frith -
      seems that they would be wonderful (or
      terrible, of course) together.

      rf
    • tsasscer@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 1998
        >first something else with mick beck, simon fell and paul hession...
        >
        >So on to the solo:
        >dereck bailey sets up centre stage, bright yellow speaker on cloth draped
        >stand, at head height
        >(standing, bailey sits):...

        I would just like to say that I would love to see more posts like this
        (concert reviews)here on "the list". Well written and informative. Thanks
        much. Where and when did the show take place?

        Version (Tsasscer)

      • Davis Ford
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 1998
          >>So on to the solo:
          >>dereck bailey sets up centre stage, bright yellow speaker on cloth draped
          >>stand, at head height
          >>(standing, bailey sits):...
          >
          >I would just like to say that I would love to see more posts like this
          >(concert reviews)here on "the list". Well written and informative. Thanks
          >much. Where and when did the show take place?

          I agree. Nicely done, rf. I'd love to see Bailey live, although I don't
          think he's probably coming my way any time soon. I'd also like to see more
          album review posts. No one seems to want to post anything as daring and
          informative as that.

          Here's a question for you: Did Bailey ever 'screw-up' during the
          performance?

          davis
        • rf
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 1998
            >I would just like to say that I would love to see more posts like this
            >(concert reviews)here on "the list". Well written and informative. Thanks
            >much. Where and when did the show take place?

            live theatre, newcastle upon tyne, uk (about 100 yards from the river in the
            vicinity of law courts and deconsencrated church at the foot of a slope)
            on the 041198 at 2000 until about 2215
            this info is hardly important unless you plan to reverse time though, is it?

            rf
          • John
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 1998
              > Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 13:23:10 +0100
              > From: rf <richard.faith@...>
              > Subject: Re: injustice
              >

              > >I would just like to say that I would love to see more posts like this
              > >(concert reviews)here on "the list". Well written and informative. Thanks
              > >much. Where and when did the show take place?
              >
              > live theatre, newcastle upon tyne, uk (about 100 yards from the river in the
              > vicinity of law courts and deconsencrated church at the foot of a slope)
              > on the 041198 at 2000 until about 2215
              > this info is hardly important unless you plan to reverse time though, is it?
              >
              > rf

              Hmm, I always thought the Live Theatre was up Sandyford way but that
              probably explains why I've never been able to find it...

              I always miss stuff like this, I should really find out more about
              when these things take place.

              JOHN