Re: jazz greats

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998
      -----Original Message-----
      From: rf <richard.faith@...>
      To: thewire@onelist.com <thewire@onelist.com>
      Date: Wednesday, November 04, 1998 9:03 AM
      Subject: [thewire] Re: jazz greats

      >From: rf <richard.faith@...>
      >

      >>as long as you're comfortable in that position.
      >>
      >it gives me a unique insight into the feeling stimpy might
      >have had when he folded into his navel
      >
      >it'll probably be safer than when i go to see d.bailey in action tonight
      >
      >rf

      please report promptly following the bailey performance.

      stimpy may be dead, but george liquor ain't: www.spumco.com

      davis
    • DeeDee
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998
        Hi,
        I know I�m a little late with my reply, but well...

        if anyone wants to drop ideas to explore (that goes for
        > ayler too..i'll definitely be getting more of his stuff), please do.

        There�s a great album that Cherry and Ayler did together, it�s called
        "Vibrations"
        Also,there�s a great Cherry album called "Actions" which was recorded
        at the Donaueschingen Festival in the early seventies, with an all
        star cast, Peter Br�tzmann among them. It�s a very powerful fusion of
        indian chants and free Jazz. The same piece is also on an album called
        "Humus"
        And of course, all the Ornette Coleman records with Cherry are well
        worth exploring, most of all "The Shape of Jazz to Come" and "This is
        our Music". Cherry also had a project with Collin Walcott and Nana
        Vasconcelos, they have three records on ECM full of great ethno-jazz.

        And about Sanders, I recommend Alice Coltrane�s "Journey in
        Satchinanada" and his own "Black Unity". Journey is very heavily
        indluenced by indian music, and Sanders plays adorably on that one.
        "unity" is one long piece ,very percussive and very dense.
        And Albert Ayler�s "Love Cry" on Impulse! is quite a masterpiece, too.

        I don�t have to mention you need "Ascension" and "Meditations" by
        Coltrane, do I ?

        I hope this may be of some use to you,
        Cheers,
        DeeDee
      • Davis Ford
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998
          >From: DeeDee <deedee_523@...>
          >Hi,
          >I know I�m a little late with my reply, but well...

          >I hope this may be of some use to you,
          >Cheers,
          >DeeDee

          Thanks Dee Dee, and everybody else. It's been very helpful.

          Incidentally, is the new issue out yet in the US? I've yet to see a copy.
          I suppose we get shafted on the cover cd, too. Ah well.

          davis