Re: jazz greats

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998
      >sorry, bernhard g�nter and the point is that
      >it has altered the extent of the sound
      >environment that i now perceive and the
      >extent to which i am uncontrollably
      >listening to it in a detail/with as much
      >'reading' of it as i would the cd itself.
      >also the memory of the sounds from the cd
      >impose themselves to the same degree
      >when i am listening to it and when otherwise
      >occupied - though this is not in the same
      >way as say, negentropy (h3o, another recent buy)
      >which when recalled would seem to be replayed
      >abstractly, but it pervades with the same intensities
      >and localisations (in my head) as when it is being played.
      >
      >so basically it interacts with me/ my envoronment beyond the cd being
      played
      >and it has a changing effect on my perceptions - i take that to
      >be a political move from some instrumental music.
      >the crappy tactic of writing obliquely was an acknowledgement
      >of being at ease with david grubbs' lyricism

      i managed your oblique strategies ok. i was just curious what specific
      sound medium you were referring to that caused this reaction. i've had the
      same sort of reaction(s) with various minimalistic/musique concrete
      pieces --> mainly the effect of not knowing whether the record is playing or
      not (in my head vs. on the table), even occasionally in an environment where
      i'm nowhere near a stereo. this is a good thing, and not drug induced.
      that's why i was curious. it's likely something i will investigate. thanks
      for the tip.

      >and no i don't mind being so far up my arse i can eat something twice in
      one go

      >rf

      as long as you're comfortable in that position.

      thanks to the others for those ayler/sanders/cherry tips. i just ordered
      Sonet Recordings from Forced Exposure.

      davis
    • rf
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998

        >as long as you're comfortable in that position.

        it gives me a unique insight into the feeling stimpy might
        have had when he folded into his navel

        it'll probably be safer than when i go to see d.bailey in action tonight

        rf
      • Davis Ford
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998
          >>as long as you're comfortable in that position.
          >>
          >it gives me a unique insight into the feeling stimpy might
          >have had when he folded into his navel
          >
          >it'll probably be safer than when i go to see d.bailey in action tonight
          >
          >rf

          please report promptly following the bailey performance.

          stimpy may be dead, but george liquor ain't: www.spumco.com

          davis
        • DeeDee
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998
            Hi,
            I know I�m a little late with my reply, but well...

            if anyone wants to drop ideas to explore (that goes for
            > ayler too..i'll definitely be getting more of his stuff), please do.

            There�s a great album that Cherry and Ayler did together, it�s called
            "Vibrations"
            Also,there�s a great Cherry album called "Actions" which was recorded
            at the Donaueschingen Festival in the early seventies, with an all
            star cast, Peter Br�tzmann among them. It�s a very powerful fusion of
            indian chants and free Jazz. The same piece is also on an album called
            "Humus"
            And of course, all the Ornette Coleman records with Cherry are well
            worth exploring, most of all "The Shape of Jazz to Come" and "This is
            our Music". Cherry also had a project with Collin Walcott and Nana
            Vasconcelos, they have three records on ECM full of great ethno-jazz.

            And about Sanders, I recommend Alice Coltrane�s "Journey in
            Satchinanada" and his own "Black Unity". Journey is very heavily
            indluenced by indian music, and Sanders plays adorably on that one.
            "unity" is one long piece ,very percussive and very dense.
            And Albert Ayler�s "Love Cry" on Impulse! is quite a masterpiece, too.

            I don�t have to mention you need "Ascension" and "Meditations" by
            Coltrane, do I ?

            I hope this may be of some use to you,
            Cheers,
            DeeDee
          • Davis Ford
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998
              >From: DeeDee <deedee_523@...>
              >Hi,
              >I know I�m a little late with my reply, but well...

              >I hope this may be of some use to you,
              >Cheers,
              >DeeDee

              Thanks Dee Dee, and everybody else. It's been very helpful.

              Incidentally, is the new issue out yet in the US? I've yet to see a copy.
              I suppose we get shafted on the cover cd, too. Ah well.

              davis