Re: jazz greats

  • rf
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998
      >From: "Davis Ford" <forddavi@...>
      >
      >RE:
      >
      >>about three or four months ago
      >>i bought un peu de neige salie
      >>and it may have changed my
      >>life
      >
      >can you expound on this a little more, richard. more explicitly, what the
      >hell record/artist are you referring to?

      sorry, bernhard g�nter and the point is that
      it has altered the extent of the sound
      environment that i now perceive and the
      extent to which i am uncontrollably
      listening to it in a detail/with as much
      'reading' of it as i would the cd itself.
      also the memory of the sounds from the cd
      impose themselves to the same degree
      when i am listening to it and when otherwise
      occupied - though this is not in the same
      way as say, negentropy (h3o, another recent buy)
      which when recalled would seem to be replayed
      abstractly, but it pervades with the same intensities
      and localisations (in my head) as when it is being played.

      so basically it interacts with me/ my envoronment beyond the cd being played
      and it has a changing effect on my perceptions - i take that to
      be a political move from some instrumental music.
      the crappy tactic of writing obliquely was an acknowledgement
      of being at ease with david grubbs' lyricism

      and no i don't mind being so far up my arse i can eat something twice in one go

      rf
    • Davis Ford
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998
        >sorry, bernhard g�nter and the point is that
        >it has altered the extent of the sound
        >environment that i now perceive and the
        >extent to which i am uncontrollably
        >listening to it in a detail/with as much
        >'reading' of it as i would the cd itself.
        >also the memory of the sounds from the cd
        >impose themselves to the same degree
        >when i am listening to it and when otherwise
        >occupied - though this is not in the same
        >way as say, negentropy (h3o, another recent buy)
        >which when recalled would seem to be replayed
        >abstractly, but it pervades with the same intensities
        >and localisations (in my head) as when it is being played.
        >
        >so basically it interacts with me/ my envoronment beyond the cd being
        played
        >and it has a changing effect on my perceptions - i take that to
        >be a political move from some instrumental music.
        >the crappy tactic of writing obliquely was an acknowledgement
        >of being at ease with david grubbs' lyricism

        i managed your oblique strategies ok. i was just curious what specific
        sound medium you were referring to that caused this reaction. i've had the
        same sort of reaction(s) with various minimalistic/musique concrete
        pieces --> mainly the effect of not knowing whether the record is playing or
        not (in my head vs. on the table), even occasionally in an environment where
        i'm nowhere near a stereo. this is a good thing, and not drug induced.
        that's why i was curious. it's likely something i will investigate. thanks
        for the tip.

        >and no i don't mind being so far up my arse i can eat something twice in
        one go

        >rf

        as long as you're comfortable in that position.

        thanks to the others for those ayler/sanders/cherry tips. i just ordered
        Sonet Recordings from Forced Exposure.

        davis
      • rf
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998

          >as long as you're comfortable in that position.

          it gives me a unique insight into the feeling stimpy might
          have had when he folded into his navel

          it'll probably be safer than when i go to see d.bailey in action tonight

          rf
        • Davis Ford
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998
            >>as long as you're comfortable in that position.
            >>
            >it gives me a unique insight into the feeling stimpy might
            >have had when he folded into his navel
            >
            >it'll probably be safer than when i go to see d.bailey in action tonight
            >
            >rf

            please report promptly following the bailey performance.

            stimpy may be dead, but george liquor ain't: www.spumco.com

            davis
          • DeeDee
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998
              Hi,
              I know I�m a little late with my reply, but well...

              if anyone wants to drop ideas to explore (that goes for
              > ayler too..i'll definitely be getting more of his stuff), please do.

              There�s a great album that Cherry and Ayler did together, it�s called
              "Vibrations"
              Also,there�s a great Cherry album called "Actions" which was recorded
              at the Donaueschingen Festival in the early seventies, with an all
              star cast, Peter Br�tzmann among them. It�s a very powerful fusion of
              indian chants and free Jazz. The same piece is also on an album called
              "Humus"
              And of course, all the Ornette Coleman records with Cherry are well
              worth exploring, most of all "The Shape of Jazz to Come" and "This is
              our Music". Cherry also had a project with Collin Walcott and Nana
              Vasconcelos, they have three records on ECM full of great ethno-jazz.

              And about Sanders, I recommend Alice Coltrane�s "Journey in
              Satchinanada" and his own "Black Unity". Journey is very heavily
              indluenced by indian music, and Sanders plays adorably on that one.
              "unity" is one long piece ,very percussive and very dense.
              And Albert Ayler�s "Love Cry" on Impulse! is quite a masterpiece, too.

              I don�t have to mention you need "Ascension" and "Meditations" by
              Coltrane, do I ?

              I hope this may be of some use to you,
              Cheers,
              DeeDee
            • Davis Ford
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 1998
                >From: DeeDee <deedee_523@...>
                >Hi,
                >I know I�m a little late with my reply, but well...

                >I hope this may be of some use to you,
                >Cheers,
                >DeeDee

                Thanks Dee Dee, and everybody else. It's been very helpful.

                Incidentally, is the new issue out yet in the US? I've yet to see a copy.
                I suppose we get shafted on the cover cd, too. Ah well.

                davis